Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clusty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Does anybody know if AT&T will be getting a shipment tonight, or Sunday?

islandtitan

macrumors regular
Just off the phone with local AT&T

I asked if they had any and of course the answer was no, and was also told that they are only satisfying direct fulfillment orders. I could go in and place a direct fulfillment order but she had no idea when it would come. She also said she didn't know when they'd be getting any units in for public distribution.

I'm about ready to stay with Verizon. It amazes me that no one seems to know anything.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I have been told by 2 other people that AT&T stores did NOT run out of phones on Friday. They split up their allotments for Friday, Sat, and Sun. So each morning they should have some phones available.

That's just what I'm hearing. You just might want to see what time they open on Sunday and show up at opening and see. Can't hurt.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I just got off the phone with my local AT&T:

"We're only taking direct fulfillment orders, 'walk-in' customers will have to wait 3-4 weeks before we get enough stock."

I don't know if the guy was feeding me a line or what, but 3-4 $^@^$@# weeks?! What the hell was the 4 week wait from June 9 - Jul y 11th for? Were the factories dead?

I am really amazed that Apple can load up their stores with 1000+ iPhones but give each AT&T store only 20 or 40 or whatever, when many people either don't have Apple stores in their area or cannot buy from Apple due to business/family restrictions (my case). Extremely disappointing from Apple.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina

"We're only taking direct fulfillment orders, 'walk-in' customers will have to wait 3-4 weeks before we get enough stock."

I don't know if the guy was feeding me a line or what, but 3-4 $^@^$@# weeks?! What the hell was the 4 week wait from June 9 - Jul y 11th for? Were the factories dead?

I am really amazed that Apple can load up their stores with 1000+ iPhones but give each AT&T store only 20 or 40 or whatever, when many people either don't have Apple stores in their area or cannot buy from Apple due to business/family restrictions (my case). Extremely disappointing from Apple.

They're lying about the "3 - 4 weeks wait b/c we don't have any iPhones." That's a big ol' steaming pot of BS. Most, if not, ALL, AT&T stores are only selling a certain amount each day for right now. They have them in the back ... they're just not selling them. Not sure why though.

I could see if an area has an Apple store. But in most cases where the nearest apple store is hours away, they should stock at least ONE AT&t store with the same supply they stock the Apple stores with.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL

The 3-4 weeks is how long it will be before they will be done doing direct fulfillment orders. Doesn't mean you can be one of them and get your iPhone quicker than that...just means you can't buy one directly in store until that time.

and I agree...Apple is the one at fault here...the obviously said screw all the people buying at AT&T stores. They certainly aren't making any happy customers with people who are forced to go to AT&T.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007

I went to 5 local stores today and was basically told the same by each. I am forced to go to AT&T since then can't seem to figure out how to fix my account. Apparently, I am still showing up as a business customer even-though my FAN was removed last week.

I am forced to go to AT&T and no AT&T has one. Sad thing is my local Apple store has plenty!

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
I went to 5 local stores today and was basically told the same by each. I am forced to go to AT&T since then can't seem to figure out how to fix my account. Apparently, I am still showing up as a business customer even-though my FAN was removed last week.

I am forced to go to AT&T and no AT&T has one. Sad thing is my local Apple store has plenty!

Yep same here. Neither of the AT&T stores I was going to go to have them. Fortunately I can go to Apple since I know for a fact I'm not upgrade eligible and my account is just a normal personal account with no discounts or anything special done to it.

My dad on the other hand is getting a free iPhone 3G upgrade (he bought his original iPhone on May 26th...and has already gotten approval from AT&T to get a free upgrade)...but he has to do it at his original store. That store is one of the stores I checked that had none. Fortunately for him, he still has his original iPhone to use...and it's still rather new to him...since he's had it for a little more than a month. So he can place a direct fulfillment order and just wait for it to come in.

He sounded like he was willing to help me in getting my iPhone at the Apple store though. What may happen is he may help me get my phone...but take it for himself (put his SIM in) and give me his old one until he gets his from the AT&T store. He's as excited about the new phone as I am.

I talked to him on his way back from England...he finally landed in Detroit...but is getting a bit tired. He got up at 4am London Time...and it's like 8:15pm there right now...so he's probably going to be crashing early tonight. That's probably going to delay the getting of my iPhone until tomorrow. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.