Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDfromMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Hello all. I currently have a iPhone 13 Pro Max that isn’t due for an upgrade until next year. My wife’s phone was due for an upgrade (coming from an iPhone 11). The new phone will be here tomorrow. Is there a way to make her phone number on the 13 pro max and my telephone number on the 15 pro max without going to AT&T? I am just trying to save myself the trip, I know they can do it at the store.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
You can call AT&T at 800-331-0500. As long as everything is e-sims and not physical sims, they can do it over the phone.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hello all. I currently have a iPhone 13 Pro Max that isn’t due for an upgrade until next year. My wife’s phone was due for an upgrade (coming from an iPhone 11). The new phone will be here tomorrow. Is there a way to make her phone number on the 13 pro max and my telephone number on the 15 pro max without going to AT&T? I am just trying to save myself the trip, I know they can do it at the store.
When you do the data transfer between iPhones, the setup process will ask you if you would like to migrate your eSIM over. Just select yes and it'll be done.

That's how I transferred my eSIM from my XS to 12 Pro and now 15 Pro, I haven't called AT&T for this, ever.

Reactions: papbot

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I moved from an iPhone 12 to the iPhone 15 pro max. Yes, during the set up I asked to migrate to the eSIM. Since I was asked and did the 15.02 update prior to the move to eSIM I said yes. It failed several times both during the restore from iCloud as well as setting up later via the settings app (it was a physical SIM card). I called AT&T and with the help of the technician after confirming the the move to eSIM was not working he set it up for me. Just have access to view your IMEI number, settings > general > about > slide down. It took about 10 minutes (not including some hold time waiting). It’s worth was worth it.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Should be easy to do either (1) while setting up your new iPhone (assuming both already utilize eSIM); and/or (2) through AT&T's self-service website.

JDfromMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I was hoping to set her apple id on the iPhone 15 to get her account associated with an eSIM (since her 11 has a physical) and then set her up on the 13. Then setup the 15 again with my Apple ID.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
You can do this on the AT&T website by navigating to the section with all of your lines, then click Manage your wireless for the lines you want to change the device for. It will ask you to plug in the IMEI for the device you want to use for that line and an eSIM install message will automatically pop up on the phone. Unless things go wrong, you don’t actually need to talk to anyone at AT&T.

Reactions: Xoterin

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Should be easy to do either (1) while setting up your new iPhone (assuming both already utilize eSIM); and/or (2) through AT&T's self-service website.
That is correct, except I think the age of the eSIM, my physical sim was a physical swap from an iPhone 11 to an iPhone 12, and maybe even as far back as a iPhone 10. Both the technician and I thought that might have been an issue.

Xoterin

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
via iPhone 8 Plus
You can do this on the AT&T website by navigating to the section with all of your lines, then click Manage your wireless for the lines you want to change the device for. It will ask you to plug in the IMEI for the device you want to use for that line and an eSIM install message will automatically pop up on the phone. Unless things go wrong, you don’t actually need to talk to anyone at AT&T.
I did this today. It was flawless.

JDfromMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I may be overthinking this too. The 13 pro max still has a sim tray. I think I can just pop her sim into the 13 pro max and then restore my Apple ID on the 15 pro max and then it’ll port my number as an eSIM. If all else fails, I just found the part on the website where it asks for the imei too. I think I can do this without going to the store which would be awesome.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I may be overthinking this too. The 13 pro max still has a sim tray. I think I can just pop her sim into the 13 pro max and then restore my Apple ID on the 15 pro max and then it’ll port my number as an eSIM. If all else fails, I just found the part on the website where it asks for the imei too. I think I can do this without going to the store which would be awesome.
Wait, just to clarify, do you have an eSIM on your 13 Pro Max or just the physical SIM? If you have a physical SIM, then you do need to get one from AT&T or call them to have them help you with setup.

JDfromMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I have both in the pro max. Physical sim in the tray but also converted to eSIM as well

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I have both in the pro max. Physical sim in the tray but also converted to eSIM as well

Then here is a breakdown:
  • So if your iPhones have a working eSIM, the process is simple and done via the new iPhone's setup process.
  • If your physical SIM is doing to the work on your old phone, then you'll be required to contact AT&T to complete the process. This can be done in-store or via the phone.

mcru21

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Then here is a breakdown:
  • So if your iPhones have a working eSIM, the process is simple and done via the new iPhone's setup process.
  • If your physical SIM is doing to the work on your old phone, then you'll be required to contact AT&T to complete the process. This can be done in-store or via the phone.
I had a physical sim in my 13 pro on at&t and my 15 pro prompted me to transfer my phone number to the new phone during setup. didn't have to contact at&t

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
No matter what I tried I needed to call into AT&T support to switch the e-sim from my 14PM to 15PM. It was very irritating sitting on hold for 45 minutes, I almost ported out to another carrier which would've been quicker haha.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
You don’t have to contact ATT if your eSIM doesn’t convert. Have your ATT account ready to log in online.

1695700254535.png

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Within your account, there’s a page where you can see the phones on your account. There should be an option to switch phones with eSIM. From there you enter the IMEI of the new 15 found in Settings > General > About.

ATT webpage will automatically recognize and confirm the phone based on the IMEI.

Proceed and wait a couple minutes. You’ll be set.

I had to do this in the Apple Store after my iPhone 12 PM wouldn’t convert physical SIM to eSIM and since Apple doesn’t have direct connection to ATT.

My fiancé bought her 15 at Bestbuy, who has access to ATT servers, so she was able to switch over to eSIM from iPhone SE seamlessly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.