Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshJosh3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
I took advantage of the AT&T $700 trade in promotion back during the holidays and got an iPhone 12 Pro Max and am currently at credit 25 of 30.

Obviously the trade in credit was great however I’m not an overall fan of the phone. I’m willing to let the phone sit and continue to collect the trade in credits (thus drastically reducing the cost) however am wondering if I purchase an iPhone 12 Mini (full retail) can I activate it on the Pro Max line and not lose the remaining credits?

Essentially my account and line won’t change but the 12PM receiving the credits wouldn’t have an active SIM as this would be fulfilled by the 12 mini.

Any thoughts or experiences?

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I took advantage of the AT&T $700 trade in promotion back during the holidays and got an iPhone 12 Pro Max and am currently at credit 25 of 30.

Obviously the trade in credit was great however I’m not an overall fan of the phone. I’m willing to let the phone sit and continue to collect the trade in credits (thus drastically reducing the cost) however am wondering if I purchase an iPhone 12 Mini (full retail) can I activate it on the Pro Max line and not lose the remaining credits?

Essentially my account and line won’t change but the 12PM receiving the credits wouldn’t have an active SIM as this would be fulfilled by the 12 mini.

Any thoughts or experiences?
In past AT&T deals - I had such a deal a few years ago - you only needed to keep the line active - the actual phone on the line was irrelevant. But I haven’t read the fine print on your particular offer.

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
You can't take the sim out of the pro max and use it in any phone that will work on AT&T's network. I've done this many a time.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I did the same on S9, we were still halfway through the Next plan and got a bill credit every month. Put the sim in a S10 and worked fine. You can't pay it off early or you forfeit the credits and the phone will stay locked to AT&T until Next is paid off.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Sure! Decided to pay it off and sell. Phone is now paid off and unlocked. Silver 256gb 10/10 case and screen protector since it left the box.

Thanks for the help everyone!
When you said you decided to pay it off, you lost the remaining credits from AT&T, is that right?

Similar question on my part...I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 12 on the $700 deal but I'm not necessarily sure I want to not buy another phone within 36 months. So I'm wondering if anyone can confirm the point that @B_mark_R made above...that the credits keep coming in even if the SIM card is not in the 'deal phone'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.