Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

segrobja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
So I upgraded one line on my account to get the 5s on my line. In the past when doing this I've simply swapped sim cards. But when I tried this today I got a screen during the iPhone 5s setup prompting me to activate this with the number I upgraded. I then gave up because I didn't want to mess up the SIM from my line that was in the 5s and I also don't want to end up disabling the phone that is on the line I upgraded. Help. How do I do this?

UnbornApple

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
So I upgraded one line on my account to get the 5s on my line. In the past when doing this I've simply swapped sim cards. But when I tried this today I got a screen during the iPhone 5s setup prompting me to activate this with the number I upgraded. I then gave up because I didn't want to mess up the SIM from my line that was in the 5s and I also don't want to end up disabling the phone that is on the line I upgraded. Help. How do I do this?

I'd say turn the phone off, put the sim card you want to use with the phone into the 5s.

Then activate the phone, it should go through the activation with your correct phone number.

Samma71

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
i'm going to be doing the same when my 5s comes - let me know how that works out for you!!

segrobja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
Stopped by an ATT Store to try and do this. They insisted that they need to issue a new SIM card for the other line. Any truth to this?

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Stopped by an ATT Store to try and do this. They insisted that they need to issue a new SIM card for the other line. Any truth to this?

Perhaps. I've always just gone to the AT&T store and let them do it all when I do the cross-upgrade thing.

segrobja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
Well. I went to the Times Square ATT store because it was the only one open. Bunch of miserable, less than helpful people there.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Yes, going to the store works too, but I've always been able to do it over the phone, just make sure you do not call them from any of the lines you want to make the changes.

OP, did they at least get it done for you?

segrobja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
No. They insisted that they had to issue a new SIM for the other line which I think is complete crap as I've never had this problem before.

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I just did this. I used my moms upgrade and I called ATT when I received the phone. I had to give him the IMEI number and something like ICCID? Took 15 minutes to complete this. Didn't require any new sim cards.

segrobja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
I just did this. I used my moms upgrade and I called ATT when I received the phone. I had to give him the IMEI number and something like ICCID? Took 15 minutes to complete this. Didn't require any new sim cards.
I knew it. Unfortunately I'm on a train right now so I will probably get home after ATT closes their call center.

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I knew it. Unfortunately I'm on a train right now so I will probably get home after ATT closes their call center.

Yeah and you cant use either of the phones. You will need to use a house phone or something...let us know how it goes.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
@ OP

If both your lines are still active, insert the SIM's in whichever phones you want to use them in and you should be good to go. If this is the case, I see no reason to deal with the worthless morons at AT&T. :)

However, if any of your lines is inactive, you will need to activate the inactive line(s), which means you will need the help of those worthless morons at AT&T. Good luck to you! :eek:

segrobja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
Called ATT from my Verizon line on the train. Easy fix. Took 10 minutes. Gave the rep the IMEI and the ICCID and it was all taken care of within 10 minutes. Now I need to get him and on WiFi to restore from backup.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Called ATT from my Verizon line on the train. Easy fix. Took 10 minutes. Gave the rep the IMEI and the ICCID and it was all taken care of within 10 minutes. Now I need to get him and on WiFi to restore from backup.

What happened at the "Activation" step? Did it still show the old number? If so, did you just hit "Next" and continue on?

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
3 lines on a family plan and we always end up using another phones upgrade.

Got my phone this morning showing my sons phone # on it. Called att and told them I was using the upgrade from my sons # to my #.
She got the new imie # and SIM card # and told me to turn off and then on the old phone. Then when I saw no service on it I turned it back off. Turned the new phone on and when the screen showing my sons # came up I just hit next as if I was saying that is correct.
See att already changed the account info for the new phone and sim card on there end. So no matter what # the phone said it was using once I activated it what att changed took effect and over rode what ever was there. No need for a SIM card and no disruption of service on my sons line.
This time I used the live chat option ..

Worked like a charm

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.