Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I was at the store the other day and noticed that I had connected to Wi-Fi and it was extremely slow, I was able to use the toggles to disconnect, but I couldn’t going to Wi-Fi and “Forget” the network to stop from connecting next time. And in settings there was no option to disconnect either. Anybody know why, and how it connected automatically? Is it something to do with the fact that it was AT&T?

ECD08ABF-7A4F-4653-A973-167DD3C949D3.png

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
From the wifi name, looks like it is automatic, from carrier settings or something. Only thing you can do is disconnect from the settings.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
From the wifi name, looks like it is automatic, from carrier settings or something. Only thing you can do is disconnect from the settings.

That’s what I kind of wondered, some way of saving over the air bandwidth or something maybe. Kind of annoying, I hope this doesn’t pop up all over the place if it’s going to be slow like this one was.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Threads on other boards about this. No real solid answers. Speculation that this is a forced carrier setting by ATT.

On one board, someone was able to get some relief, but was not sure if permanent solution. When they connected to ATT Passpoint, they turned off wifi calling and the Passpoint network now had the autojoin option and were able to turn it off. Then they reenabled wifi calling.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Threads on other boards about this. No real solid answers. Speculation that this is a forced carrier setting by ATT.

On one board, someone was able to get some relief, but was not sure if permanent solution. When they connected to ATT Passpoint, they turned off wifi calling and the Passpoint network now had the autojoin option and were able to turn it off. Then they reenabled wifi calling.

Thanks

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've noticed this in the past with AT&T Wifi. It's as if the SIM card installs some profile that creates a mandatory WiFi entry for AT&T.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the "attwifi" networks didn't often suck so horribly. I've never actually come across an attwifi that is actually faster than my AT&T cellular connection.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I've noticed this in the past with AT&T Wifi. It's as if the SIM card installs some profile that creates a mandatory WiFi entry for AT&T.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the "attwifi" networks didn't often suck so horribly. I've never actually come across an attwifi that is actually faster than my AT&T cellular connection.

That’s definitely the issue, if it was a good connection I could care less if I was on Wi-Fi or not. But it was so slow the page wouldn’t load I figured I was on the stores Wi-Fi, then when I couldn’t set it to never connect I noticed it was this AT&T deal.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I am going to grave dig this thread. I am having this same problem!

Apple even warns abouts this(see attached image) in there own settings but the solution they recommend does not work. I can see in the carrier bundle where AT&T is forcing this to happen. However Apple is allowing it to occur.

So in my case I own the phone outright and I am not locked into a contract. The phone is also carrier unlocked.
I can not modify the .ipcc file because it is sign/verified by iOS before it is loaded.

So the only choice I have is drop AT&T if I don’t want this “feature”?

Attachments

• C1AA4E52-6D56-4829-8364-336A9F9C2C4C.jpeg
    C1AA4E52-6D56-4829-8364-336A9F9C2C4C.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: Saipher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.