Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
IMG_4373.jpeg

I don’t know if anyone here services Apple products, but I’ve replaced over 100 iPhone batteries and up until today, I was under the impression that once the battery wear reached 85%, it would say “service battery“ but this iPhone 12 pro is at 80% and says nothing.

IMG_4372.jpeg
Due to his random shut downs, I’m certain it’s the battery, but why doesn’t it say service?

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Good question! I thought it would be <80% when servicing would be suggested. I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

We will be travelling abroad in the next few months and I'm planning to have my iPhone 12 Pro battery replaced before then. Currently it has 84% capacity which seems ok for performance but not very good if you use the camera the whole day like I would when I go travelling.

Reactions: Miicat_47

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I believe the "Battery health degraded" or "Service" message will show once the battery hits 79%. Apple usually won't replace the battery until it goes below 80%. (The screenshot in the link below also shows 79% where this is mentioned.)

Once the phone experiences an unexpected shutdown due to the battery, it should start throttling and state this under the Peak Performance Capability section. It'll also give you the option to disable the performance management, which would increase your chances of another unexpected shutdown again. This is not showing up for you, so the phone should be running at normal performance and the random shutdowns could be due to something else.

FWIW, the battery health on my spare XS that I use for browsing/games is 74%. I haven't experienced any throttling or random shutdowns yet, and it says it's currently supporting peak performance.

All of this is explained here:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I believe the "Battery health degraded" or "Service" message will show once the battery hits 79%. Apple usually won't replace the battery until it goes below 80%. (The screenshot in the link below also shows 79% where this is mentioned.)

I had wondered about the bolded parts above too. I don't think my battery capacity would go below 80% in the next few months. With that assumption, I recently asked Apple via chat if they would be able to replace the battery if I paid for it. They said yes, that I don't have to wait for it to drop to <80% before requesting paid service.

The only time, as I understand from that chat, that Apple won't replace the battery if capacity is >= to 80% is if you are asking for battery replacement under warranty. Under warranty, they won't replace the battery under that condition.

I suppose it makes sense. If you want to pay for an earlier replacement you're welcome to do that under Apple. That's what I plan to do in September. In any case, my 12Pro has long since expired its warranty.

Reactions: Chidoro

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My iPhone X showed the "service battery" notification and started showing classic worn battery symptoms at 82%. Had it replaced by Apple (at my cost) in less than an hour and been going strong since

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My iPhone X showed the "service battery" notification and started showing classic worn battery symptoms at 82%. Had it replaced by Apple (at my cost) in less than an hour and been going strong since
How long does it take them to do a battery replacement in store? I am willing to pay Apple to replace it as well, but I don't want to be a week without my phone. Is this done in store same day?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How long does it take them to do a battery replacement in store? I am willing to pay Apple to replace it as well, but I don't want to be a week without my phone. Is this done in store same day?
I made an appointment online, showed up at my local store and they ran some diagnostics. They agreed that the battery was worn out and told me they would replace it for $79 + tax. I signed some documents and they said it would take a little more than an hour for the repair. I went to a coffee shop nearby and hung out for an hour and a half just to give them some extra time and when I went back it was done. This was my second battery replacement from Apple, the first was for my 6S and that one showed 86% and they didn't recommend replacing it but I told them I wanted it done regardless and they had no problem complying. That replacement was when the were doing them for $29 + tax. It took a little more than an hour also..

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Never if it’s on the original iOS version. Below 80% if sufficiently updated, but this varies from device to device (probably due to the iOS version that runs on the device). Some have complained as soon as 79%, while others run fine with a lot less. I don’t think there’s a hard rule.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
My XS is on 73% and while the battery drains much quicker now thanwhen new, I don’t get any lags, stutters or any non-optimal performance. I will use it as is until I can get the iPhone 15 when it is released. FWIW, I did have a random shutdown once but turned off performance management protection and haven’t had another since.

Reactions: Polochamps

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
FWIW, the battery health on my spare XS that I use for browsing/games is 74%. I haven't experienced any throttling or random shutdowns yet, and it says it's currently supporting peak performance.
My XS is on 73% and while the battery drains much quicker now thanwhen new, I don’t get any lags, stutters or any non-optimal performance. I will use it as is until I can get the iPhone 15 when it is released. FWIW, I did have a random shutdown once but turned off performance management protection and haven’t had another since.

Similar:

iOS_Power_Battery_5058.PNG iPhone-X_battery-health_20071104_20230718.png

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
This should take an hour. Apple changed the battery in my iPhone 12 Pro but scratched the heck out of it while doing it. They ended up giving me a brand new phone.

• Wow
Reactions: msackey

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
I had wondered about the bolded parts above too. I don't think my battery capacity would go below 80% in the next few months. With that assumption, I recently asked Apple via chat if they would be able to replace the battery if I paid for it. They said yes, that I don't have to wait for it to drop to <80% before requesting paid service.

The only time, as I understand from that chat, that Apple won't replace the battery if capacity is >= to 80% is if you are asking for battery replacement under warranty. Under warranty, they won't replace the battery under that condition.

I suppose it makes sense. If you want to pay for an earlier replacement you're welcome to do that under Apple. That's what I plan to do in September. In any case, my 12Pro has long since expired its warranty.
Can confirm from my experience replacing my daughter’s Xr battery at 84 and my 8+ at 91 and 87 and Apple replaced them all without question. I was charged the regular fee for replacing the battery on all occasions.

Reactions: msackey

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
My battery on iPhone 11 Pro is showing 77%. Rendering of graphics in fitness, sleep has slowed noticeably. I'll be getting a replacement battery very soon since there is no compelling reason to invest in a new 'phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.