Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffx342

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
North Andover
I'm glad to say that one of my friends works in one of the Apple Stores and told me the next powerbooks will have the Ati Mobility Radeon 9000! This is great news http://www.ati.com Carmack from Id software currently developing Doom 3 says this is the first 3d card on laptops that will allow you to play Doom 3 and games that will have Doom 3 engines. This is great!
Not to mention Games like Sof2 Double Helix, Quake 3 all can be cranked up to the highest Resolution without a Slow down!
Yes Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 is a HUGE difference from his cousin Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 which is currently in the powerbook right now. And supposed to be faster than Geforce 4 mobile
Imagine that your playing Doom 3 on your Powerbook or future games that have Doom 3 engine this is just Great!

Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 is currently for Compaq Presario 2800T latop, and Microstar laptop

now I am not sure if the powerbooks will have ati m9000 64mgs or 32mgs because the Presario 2800T has a 64mg option
check it out http://www.ati.com

formasfunction

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2002
I hope you're right too. Now, since your buddy seems so informed, did he saying anything else about the new specs?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by formasfunction
I hope you're right too. Now, since your buddy seems so informed, did he saying anything else about the new specs?
Do a search for other posts by Jeffx342 if you want to know more, it's ALL he's posted about :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
pc laptops have 64 MB DDR RAM for their video cards in many high end laptops, and in some home user laptops priced a little higher than the introductory ibook

it's about time to get ibook to 32 and tibook to 64 megs video ram to keep up with the rest of the world

i would not be against having 64 megs of video ram for all apple laptops come mwsf 2003 or just a little later after that

it is no secret anymore, we laptop users are using our machines with photoshop and actually playing high end games on them...ok, mid level games since ibook is currently only at 16 megs video ram which is barely acceptable for this current era in computing

Jeffx342

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
North Andover
There is no doupt about it the ibook will be getting Ati Radeon 7500 w/ 32 mgs my friend also confirmed me on this,
and the ibook will release a month later when the tibooks come out

-I'm not sure about the Superdrive ordeal. We do have the
technology to make dvd burners on laptops infact its on the new sony vaio but thats 1.5 in Ti powerbook is 1 in, so I'm not sure if the Powerbook will be getting the Superdrive .

But yes I did hear there was goin to be a Superdrive and 80 gig option on the Powerbook Harddrive

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Jeffx342
There is no doupt about it the ibook will be getting Ati Radeon 7500 w/ 32 mgs my friend also confirmed me on this,
and the ibook will release a month later when the tibooks come out

-I'm not sure about the Superdrive ordeal. We do have the
technology to make dvd burners on laptops infact its on the new sony vaio but thats 1.5 in Ti powerbook is 1 in, so I'm not sure if the Powerbook will be getting the Superdrive .

But yes I did hear there was goin to be a Superdrive and 80 gig option on the Powerbook Harddrive

why not the ati 9000 on all apple laptops with other major features differentiating the consumer and pro models like screen size, RAM capability, and ports

some pc laptops have the ati 9000 and they are priced near the ibook level

this would be a good shot in the arm for apple inc to have such a strong laptop line with heavyweight graphics card across the board on their portables

Jeffx342

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
North Andover
Well, Apple wont put the Radeon 9000 in the ibook
I mean c'mon if people are going to pay 2,500 and up they should be the ones that get the radeon 9000, i'll be mad if I pay 3,799 and find out that Radeon 9000 is also for the ibook which starting at 1,199
-ibook will be getting the radeon 7500 which is currently on the powerbook right now

-Apple will always going to favor more on the powerbook because its more expensive and people that put out money for the powerbook should get the technology first

Jeffx342

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
North Andover
Let's just say you were right jefhatfield
The ibook would have the Radeon 9000 w/ 32mgs
and the Powerbook would have the radeon 9000 w/ 64mgs.

You see how their is like an invisiable wall between the 2 models

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Jeffx342
Well, Apple wont put the Radeon 9000 in the ibook
I mean c'mon if people are going to pay 2,500 and up they should be the ones that get the radeon 9000, i'll be mad if I pay 3,799 and find out that Radeon 9000 is also for the ibook which starting at 1,199
-ibook will be getting the radeon 7500 which is currently on the powerbook right now

-Apple will always going to favor more on the powerbook because its more expensive and people that put out money for the powerbook should get the technology first

but tibooks screen is 15.2 vs 14.1 at biggest for ibook, and at least one ibook will have 12.1" inch screen

tibook is titanium and ibook is plastic

tibook has pcmcia

tibook has larger RAM limit, and higher RAM already installed on its models to start with

tibook has g4 processor, ibook has g3 processor

tibook is thinner and basically, much sexier, for those of you industrial design fans

so i think it's ok if both get 64 MB video cards...there are pcs out there at ibook price levels with the 64 MB video card so apple needs at least that boost...ok, then, so charge 1299 for basic ibook and go up from there to 1899, but give us that 64 MB video card...apple inc is known for their multimedia machines...right?

why have pc club and other pc office machine makers have the 64 mb video card in their laptops?

the tibook is an all around better machine than the ibook, even if it ends up with the same video card in both

but a 32 meg video card in the ibook will sitll definitely be a boost from the 16 meg video card it currrently has:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
...or make the 64 MB video card as a "bto option" on any of the ibooks and charge the extra amount for it

...and have the 32 meg video card as "standard" for ibook

that's another thought;)

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by jefhatfield
...or make the 64 MB video card as a "bto option" on any of the ibooks and charge the extra amount for it

...and have the 32 meg video card as "standard" for ibook

that's another thought;)

That's a great idea and it would be nice to be able to customise the machine a little more than at present (might even make the machines for affordable to some and give the power boasts to those who want it). Shame I don't think it will happen.

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
Give the ibook the 7500 32mb standard and let u bto it to the radeon 9000 mobility with 64 mb, id buy one! Or raise the resolution of the 14.1inch adn give it a 9000. That sounds reasonable, like the 17inch imac of ibooks...

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
or u could just take the ibook, stretch the screen to a 16:9 ratio (16:10 on a tibook, whatsup with that?) up the ram capacity, throw in a g4 and call it a tibook. (sarcasm)
what im saying is thats basically NO difference between the ibook and tibook if they have exact same cards (g3 processor will hurt on Doom 3 i bet) so u need some distinction. i bet a 700mhz ibook with a g3 and ati 9000 would rip in 10.2 due to QE support, you'd probably have trouble telling the speed differences except for in heavy computation tasks (see g4's l3 cache)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by BongHits
(16:10 on a tibook, whatsup with that?)

I just want to point out that the aspect ratio on a ti-book is 3:2 or 15:10...not that it matters :p :D

Anyway, I don't think the iBook will get the top-of-the line graphics card...it doesn't make sense. The Radeon 7500 32 MB card is a reasonable upgrade.

As for the Radeon 9000 on a ti-book, i hope ya'll are right! As for a superdrive rumors that a floating around...just because Pioneer is making a "slimmer" drive to fit in laptops doesn't mean that it'll be an inch thick and be slot-laoding :)

If there are new pbs in october i'll be happy.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.