Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I wouldn't count on it. It uses alot of power and I imagine is quite loud. Perhaps the next generation.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
The Mac Pro should be able to have those graphics cards easily. Whether there will be a Mac version or not is another question.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Whether there will be a Mac version or not is another question.

Not even that, it´s all about apple bothering to write drivers...sad.

Energy consumption OEM 270w for the 12" xtxmodell and 240w for the retail 9.5"xt models...
How about MacPro,how long can the longest card be in it,anyone measured?

Powersupply should take it (was it 900w or something),or?

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
You mean ATI. Apple don't write drivers for products they don't make.

David

Wow, I head on the contrary,that nvidia and ati "aren´t allowed" to write the drivers,that apple is doing that?!!

Otherwise,I could bet that both ati and nvida would push some newer card out immediately and start to sell them.
There seems to be quite a bit of demand to higher end cards,and both companies do want to do profit.

Grenadier

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
Wow-
this card looks like one of my dreams come true ! :eek:

Im pretty sure the Mac Pro could handle it-
its just im not sure you would be able to fit in 12.4 inches in there.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Apple and Nividia/ATI write the drivers for the Mac in tandem... sorta. Basically both the GPU maker and Apple are involved in writing the drivers.

But the Mac Pro could definitely handle this card. The power supply is more than 900w and the machine already runs very cool (even at 100% CPU the fan output is nowhere near hot)!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Wow-
this card looks like one of my dreams come true ! :eek:

Im pretty sure the Mac Pro could handle it-
its just im not sure you would be able to fit in 12.4 inches in there.

The consumer board is 9.5 inches and features the exact same memory configuration and clockspeeds.

Grenadier

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
The consumer board is 9.5 inches and features the exact same memory configuration and clockspeeds.

Ooooooh.

Well, if that is the case, then the only possible issue (That ive just thought up) could be power.
The Mac Pro has a 1000W PSU, however, only some 250W is supplied to the PCI-E slots (250W is a mere estimate).
So, Im not sure it would get enough power.
The R600 requires about 240W, so if enough power is supplied, it will be just about.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
PCI Express Power Constraints
All four PCI Express slots conform to the PCI Express Spec Common Electromechanical Specification 1.1. Slots one and two also conform to the PCI Express x16 150W-ATX Specification 1.0 for power through the two auxiliary power connectors (shown in Figure 1) for 12 V at 6.25 A max. If a PCI Express card installed in slot one requires auxiliary power, connect the booster cable to the lower auxiliary power connector. If a PCI Express card installed in slot two requires auxiliary power, connect the booster cable to the upper auxiliary power connector.

For information on PCI Express specifications and design guides, refer to PCI-SIG.

Each PCI Express slot provides 3.3 V and 12 V power rails. On the 3.3 V rail, each slot may use a maximum of 10 W. On the 12 V rail, each slot may use a maximum of 65 W (not including auxiliary power), subject to the total wattage rules listed below.

When populating the four PCI Express slots, you need to conform to the following total wattage rules:

Slots one and two (not including aux power), max slot power per slot: 75 W
Slots three and four (not including aux power), max slot power per slot: 40 W
All four slots (not including aux power), max total power: 200 W
Max aux power per connector: 75 W
Max aux power for both connectors: 150 W
Max total PCI Express power (slot power and aux connector power): 300 W
http://developer.apple.com/document...PCI/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003027

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
Oh i hope this card comes out for OSX! I was going to build a PC for gaming in July, but if this is released for OSX then i'll upgrade the mac in a heartbeat!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ATi + Apple sort something out!

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Dream on, all of you. Mac Pro is a niche product and not worth developing for. A proper desktop Core2Duo machine would sell a lot better and would create a market for those cards. But nooo, we should all have all-in-one iMacs or the we-don't-need-no-stinkin-video-card minis. Or maybe they're too busy with the phones and mp3 players to bother with computers any more. I'm a bit disappointed...

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Dream on, all of you. Mac Pro is a niche product and not worth developing for. A proper desktop Core2Duo machine would sell a lot better and would create a market for those cards. But nooo, we should all have all-in-one iMacs or the we-don't-need-no-stinkin-video-card minis. Or maybe they're too busy with the phones and mp3 players to bother with computers any more. I'm a bit disappointed...

I guess Apple can't please everyone eh? ;) I think Apple knows which markets it's aiming at and is trying to offer as near as perfection as possible in these markets (e.g. the low-end iMac and MacBook is perfect for students, the Mini is great for people who want a small second PC or only have extremely light uses). The casual and hardcore gamer isn't very high on the list of Apple's priorities at the moment.

Grenadier

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
I dont really care if they make drivers for OSX for the R600.
Most demanding applications (Games) run in Windoze anyway, so ill use my R600 exclusively under Windoze, and just put the 1900 back in when I want to use OSX :)

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I dont really care if they make drivers for OSX for the R600.
Most demanding applications (Games) run in Windoze anyway, so ill use my R600 exclusively under Windoze, and just put the 1900 back in when I want to use OSX :)

The point is that is VERY inconvenient to have to switch hardware everytime you want to game. If, for example, the 8800GTX "just works" under OS X, then you can simply boot into Windows play your game and go back to OS X when you are done. Instead of cracking the case open and doing "surgery" on the Mac just to play a game ;) Apple is missing the boat here, he can't be much harder to write drivers for the latest cards for OS X.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Apple is missing the boat here, he can't be much harder to write drivers for the latest cards for OS X.

Apple and Nividia/ATI write the drivers for the Mac in tandem... sorta. Basically both the GPU maker and Apple are involved in writing the drivers.

Wow, I head on the contrary,that nvidia and ati "aren´t allowed" to write the drivers,that apple is doing that?!!

You mean ATI. Apple don't write drivers for products they don't make.

Not even that, it´s all about apple bothering to write drivers...sad.

C'mon, people. How does no one know this?

It's not down to the bloody drivers; this is not a software issue.

Apple uses EFI in the Intel Macs. Before that, it was Open Firmware. The reason we don't have access to the latest PC-compatible video cards is that they still use BIOS. The ROM is totally different. The cards themselves are different.

If we didn't have EFI (or OF before that) OS X couldn't possibly do what it does visually.

Trust me, you'd rather just not have the latest video cards if it means you have to run OS X from BIOS.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Umm it is a driver issue. You can put PC cards into mac pro and with proper drivers it will work. And to the issue of the cards beign different, they aren't. I have a PC 7800gs inside my PowerMac G5.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This may be just with the older cards but, If I remember correctly you had to flash the ROM on the PC video card in order for it to be compatible with the Mac. Some nVidia and ATI cards can be flashed correctly from a PC ROM to a Mac ROM and can be used on a Mac but, it's a tricky process. Of course in some rare cases the card will work without any ROM flashing but, with limited functionality.

I believe pseudobrit is right. A PC video card with a BIOS wouldn't be compatible with the Mac Pro which uses EFI. So I guess you'll have to wait for video cards to start using EFI instead of BIOS. :)

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
No you can put a STANDARD PC BIOS VIDEO CARD with NO MODIFICATIONS into a mac pro, and get full functionality with new drivers. having a PPC G5 it used a different ROM but the card is the same.

The EFI part of the Mac Pro and BIOS of the Video card have nothing to do with each other. The cards in EFI macs use BIOS's to start them selfs.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well nevermind then, my only experience has been with older AGP cards on PCs and PPC Macs. I just assumed you'd need some sort of modification, weather it be flashing the card or modified drivers for it to get it working. Oh well :)

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
C'mon, people. How does no one know this?

It's not down to the bloody drivers; this is not a software issue.

Apple uses EFI in the Intel Macs. Before that, it was Open Firmware. The reason we don't have access to the latest PC-compatible video cards is that they still use BIOS. The ROM is totally different. The cards themselves are different.

If we didn't have EFI (or OF before that) OS X couldn't possibly do what it does visually.

Trust me, you'd rather just not have the latest video cards if it means you have to run OS X from BIOS.

Drivers or Firmware in the end it is STILL SOFTWARE! It is still code that someone wrote, compiled and will somehow load onto the card. It's not like people have to put a mod chip on it to by pass the true functionality. There is a reason why people can buy PC cards and flash them to make them compatible with OS X instead of paying Apple's higher prices. Let's not pretend that these devices are so much different than what is available from regular PC's.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Drivers or Firmware in the end it is STILL SOFTWARE! It is still code that someone wrote, compiled and will somehow load onto the card. It's not like people have to put a mod chip on it to by pass the true functionality. There is a reason why people can buy PC cards and flash them to make them compatible with OS X instead of paying Apple's higher prices. Let's not pretend that these devices are so much different than what is available from regular PC's.

But the hardware the cards work with is different.

http://www.architosh.com/features/2007/chatside/ati/070128_ati-1.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.