Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Has anyone ordered/tried these?:

http://www.atomicfloyd.com/hidefdrum.php

They look the dogs compared to most other IEM's with an in-line mic currently on sale.

I might have to cancel my order for a set of Sennheiser IE8's (that don't have a mic and cost over twice as much) if these are as good as they look.

For me bigger bass = better and the few reviews I have found suggest that these have a lot of low end! (I will be upgrading from CX300's btw and anything less in bass will be below par for me).

Has anyone has a set of these, or heard any good or bad things about them? I have never heard of Atomic Floyd until I saw these advertised on cnet uk.

Also I cannot see any mention of whether there is a clicker on the mic/cord to answer calls.

crezo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
I'm looking to get a set of these myself, they look amazing! Google brought up a few reviews that sounded good but didn't go in to that much detail. I'm selling my jvc fx-1000s on eBay and these would be a good and cheaper replacement by the sound if things... My only concern is that they don't actually talk about frequency range, specs or speakertype on their site which makes me a bit suspicous! I'll let you know ifi find out more!

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I wouldn't bother. The sound is ok, bass is thumping, but highs are too screetchy!

Also I had to send mine back for a refund as the old V-Moda issue seems to be apparent with these too. The jack input is angled wrong without any flex.

I had loads of trouble trying to send them back, they wouldn't answer my emails until I threatened to put my reviews up online, it was the day after I submitted my reviews that AF called to apologise and gave me a £20 Apple voucher - too little too late though imo.

crezo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Shame cos they look wicked. What was the problem with the Jack you talk about? U had some vmodas but sent them back the next day as they sounded completely ****! So I never found that problem.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Shame cos they look wicked. What was the problem with the Jack you talk about? U had some vmodas but sent them back the next day as they sounded completely ****! So I never found that problem.

Never had Vmodas, but they both have the same jack problem (the old Vmodas): non angled jack, and minimal flex on the jack. After a while the cable becomes weak near the jack and the sound will cut out.

I believe that Vmoda have addressed this problem by using angled jacks. But Atomic Floyd haven't (not in my case anyway). Maybe I just had a dud set, but I am pretty sure that the problem I had was a gradual fault due to the jack design.

I now own Sennheiser IE8's these are the best sounding earphones I have ever had, bass response has more of a natural feel (not overly thumpy but definitely there) but when listening to dance or rap, you will go nuts for the extra bass kick.

Don't miss not having a mic btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.