Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I notice the 5Ge symbol appearing on my iPhone earlier in the afternoon. Am I missing something? I didn’t know that the latest iPhone has the ability to use this technology. Anyone else getting this too? I know that the Samsung Galaxy S9+ has it appearing on my fiancé phone too.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Please see the thread in the news section.

AT&T is fooling their customer base by saying that their good ol’ LTE is “5GE”.

Nothing has changed, they’ve just slapped a brand new label on LTE.

So you’re not missing anything. AT&T is straight up lying to you while you pay through the nose for their service each month. Business as usual

Reactions: comptr and Caesars

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I just noticed on my iphone XS this morning with WiFi turned off, it showed in place of the wifi fan, 5Ge. I'm in Lynnwood WA.

My wife's iphone 8 does NOT show the 5Ge "logo". I DID upgrade my iPhone XS to version 12.2 last night that also enabled Apple News+. My initial impressiong of New+ is that it's a fire hose of news, books, and magazines. Not bad, but I prefer paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: danny8200

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Why do you think ATT started it? Because T-Mobile has the people’s champion repetition now?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Why do you think ATT started it? Because T-Mobile has the people’s champion repetition now?

Mind games. Get’ 5G’ in the minds of the public to make it appear faster or more evolved than the other carriers ... with very little to no actual changes required.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Actually Apple updated iOS to show the icon. It won't show on earlier versions. So Apple is as much to blame as AT&T

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My cousin Sal is contemplating a class action lawsuit

If Sal is an attorney, he'll make a little cash. If Sal is a consumer, he might get a couple of dollars. This whole "class-action lawsuit" serves no one but the law firms, and is no more noble than making up faster-sounding cellular data names.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
1. April 3rd is more recent than March 22nd

2. Ookla has a larger and more diverse data set than Opensignal.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. April 3rd is more recent than March 22nd

2. Ookla has a larger and more diverse data set than Opensignal.
1. Not sure that a difference of just over a week is really meaningful one way or another.

2. From the very BGR article:

"As we’ve said in the past when looking at crowd-sourced testing, unlike “road tests” of networks which involves taking identical smartphones running on different networks to different locations all over the country and running tests, the crowdsourced reports aren’t controlled. Thus, differences in methodology between the networks could introduce bias into the data."

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
At this point in time. 5Ge is the same as LTE

AT&T Claims their transmission is in a 5G testing phase. This is what I was told.
It appears that the only thing that’s being tested is the 5Ge logo. Speed is the same

Reactions: Newtons Apple

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I notice the 5Ge symbol appearing on my iPhone earlier in the afternoon. Am I missing something? I didn’t know that the latest iPhone has the ability to use this technology. Anyone else getting this too? I know that the Samsung Galaxy S9+ has it appearing on my fiancé phone too.

It is a marketing thing from AT&T. Their advertisement seems to be everywhere now where they say "5G evolution, the first step towards 5G". I remember reading on MacRumors that it is really just a form of 4G LTE. In actual speed test, the 5GE speed is no faster than the LTE speed you get from Verizon or T-mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.