Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’ve had the unlimited ATT data plan since I got my first iPad. I got an email today saying that it was ending in March and I needed to click and sign up for a new SIM and plan.

Anyone else with the original unlimited grandfathered plan get this same email? If so, what option will you choose to replace?

daedalus1134

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
I got the same thing today. I figure I'm going to wait on it a bit. There can't be that many of us left, but if I swap to something else, the plan is definitely gone for good, while maybe if enough of a fuss happens they might make some similar setup?

Is there some legal reason grandfathering exists in the first place? It seems like AT&T wouldn't even consider it unless they had to. If I have to swap out anyway, there is no reason for me to stick with AT&T.

Reactions: aypues and x13gamer

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Looks like this plan is being killed this spring permanently...
Important notice about your DataConnect Pass plan

AT&T DataConnect Pass plan customer
Wireless Device Number: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Starting March 14, 2023, we will no longer offer your DataConnect Pass plan. In addition, your scheduled auto-renew payment will be canceled on February 9, 2023. To keep you connected, we are providing a free SIM card. When you activate a new AT&T Prepaid monthly data plan with your new SIM card and existing device, you will receive a free month of service.

Next Steps:

1. Click the Order SIM Card Now button to get your free SIM card.
  2. Activate an AT&T Prepaid data plan with your new SIM card and existing data device.
When you activate the AT&T Prepaid $55/mo. 50GB data plan, you will receive one month free* plus an additional $20 discount off your plan each month.

Gmaster

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
Florida
I have that grandfathered plan, and I received the email today.

I typically use about 10 to 15 GB each month, doubling that during World Cups, Olympics, and other big events.

Looking at the fine print, it seems the price stays the same, $35/mo. as long as I ‘switch’ to their new SIM. ($55 - 20. See image)

I’m tempted to cancel, and then either tether off my phone or just switch the iPad to the Verizon plan, as these choices cost less, and I have never neared 50 GB in a month.

My phones are Verizon, and I have liked having the iPad on AT&T for those times when one carrier has much poorer signal than the other.

Are people still selling their unlimited plans? Anybody buying them?

I’m curious to read what others plan to do.

Attachments

• 5B353430-4B73-4007-B687-D1C0596CB17F.jpeg
    5B353430-4B73-4007-B687-D1C0596CB17F.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: aypues

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Just got my letter today that it has been cancelled March 14, 2023. Not sure I completely understand this paragraph but I'm going down to AT&T to make sure I do before I do anything:

Next Steps:
  2. Activate an AT&T Prepaid data plan with your new SIM card and existing data device.
When you activate the AT&T Prepaid $55/mo. 50GB data plan, you will receive one month free* plus an additional $20 discount off your plan each month.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Got the same notice today for my 2 iPads, bummer. I haven‘t exceeded 50GB for many years now. Looks like the new plan is 50GB and $35 with AutoPay unless I am reading something wrong?

Anyone with $20 Unlimited iPad plans get the same message?

Wonder if my $20 Mobley plans will be discontinued next??

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
After paying $29.99 per month for over 10 years and then $34.99 over the last few years for Unlimited Data AT&T sent emails out saying my plan is being discontinued and I will not be able to renew it in February.
83635e6a544fe0cffbfef1227f3f33f9.jpg

Good news though I can pay almost twice as much for 50GB starting in March and they are giving my a free SIM card..

• Haha
Reactions: addamas and floral

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Just got my letter today that it has been cancelled March 14, 2023. Not sure I completely understand this paragraph but I'm going down to AT&T to make sure I do before I do anything:

Next Steps:

What a deal, limited data and paying the same price if you accept their offer. /s

I would understand then ending the service if technology has changed and they can no longer support it but that’s not the case here.

Reactions: addamas and drumcat

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is there some legal reason grandfathering exists in the first place? It seems like AT&T wouldn't even consider it unless they had to. If I have to swap out anyway, there is no reason for me to stick with AT&T.
You pretty much answered your own question!

Grandfathering exists because enough of the time if you tell a customer their plan is going away, they won't sign up for a new plan with you, they'll go to another company.

It's better to retain a million customers on an ancient plan than to discontinue the plan and lose even 20% of them.

It makes more sense to slightly increase the price, that's a lot less friction than "Your plan is ending, here's a new SIM card, sign up for a new plan."

A lot of people will take that chance to look at all their options.

Reactions: rui no onna

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I got the same notice today. While I have enjoyed the unlimited plan for a long, long time, it's really been the only reason that I've stayed with AT&T. I think I'm going to drop the 5G and just use WiFi. I can hotspot off another device. AT&T will just lose that money each month.

Reactions: max2 and x13gamer

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I got the same email for two iPads and a trail camera. Trail camera will be switched to the camera company’s service.

I’m pretty sure there isn’t 5G service at our camp, which is where I use cellular data most.

For me, the 20GB/month, $300 for a year paid in advance, will save me $240 a year (two cellular iPads at $600 under the new plans, $840/year under the current unlimited). I doubt I come close to using 20G/month. I’ve considered doing this but have just held off until now. If I were to need more data, the additional data doesn’t cost much ($10/5G). The only downside is $300 at one time rather than $70/month. I need to read my emails carefully but I think I can renew them in different months.

I wonder if I’ll be able to do this with the eSIMs in the iPads or if I’ll have to get physical SIMs.

Attachments

• AF794F79-AF51-40F6-8016-604F517D297E.jpeg
    AF794F79-AF51-40F6-8016-604F517D297E.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 112

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For those losing your grandfathered AT&T plans I would suggest considering T-Mobile. They have arrangements with many employers offering $70 Magenta Augmented cellular phone plans that allow you to add an iPad for $30/month (unlimited no throttling plus hotspot). That includes taxes. They also have decent standalone prepaid plans for tablets, but of course those are easier to change later.

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Now that AT&T is throwing us under the bus I ask, which carrier has the cheapest unlimited tablet plan out there?

Reactions: Ram65

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
For those losing your grandfathered AT&T plans I would suggest considering T-Mobile. They have arrangements with many employers offering $70 Magenta Augmented cellular phone plans that allow you to add an iPad for $30/month (unlimited no throttling plus hotspot). That includes taxes. They also have decent standalone prepaid plans for tablets, but of course those are easier to change later.
There’s no T-Mo signal within several miles of where I use cellular service the most. If there was, I’d probably be able to use the 150 days/$10/5G plan for most or all of my data needs.

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Assuming you have a recent postpaid unlimited phone plan, adding the iPad to an existing postpaid plan is cheapest ($10-20/mo).
I have T-Mobile plan for my family so I assume that would be the cheapest. I have the iPad 12” Pro Gen 2, will I have an unlocking issue?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have T-Mobile plan for my family so I assume that would be the cheapest. I have the iPad 12” Pro Gen 2, will I have an unlocking issue?

Unless you bought your iPad directly from AT&T or Verizon, the iPad should be unlocked.

digiphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
I also received the e-mail from AT&T. I haven't had used as much cellular data in the past 3 years. Maybe my next iPad should be wifi only.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why is everyone assuming this is legal?

What makes you think it’s not?

Companies are not obligated to offer the same plans at the same rates forever. They’re required to notify you first before changing your plan/rates. If you don’t agree, you can always cancel the service and switch to a different provider.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I’ve had the unlimited ATT data plan since I got my first iPad. I got an email today saying that it was ending in March and I needed to click and sign up for a new SIM and plan.
Amusingly, I have had the AT&T Unlimited plan longer than I have owned iPads. We heard from a friend the plans were going to be discontinued and we wanted to wait until the first engineering rev of the iPad, so we bought 4 SIMs from AT&T and activated them using a friend's iPad.
Anyone else with the original unlimited grandfathered plan get this same email? If so, what option will you choose to replace?
Currently debating either switching to the $55/50GB plan with the $20 discount, or cancelling it altogether and using it only when we are traveling, while tethering the rest of the time. Overall, I think they will lose money by doing this and I am not clear why they think it benefits them to do it.

Reactions: MartyXB

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
You pretty much answered your own question!
I presume that you are correct and they are not required to offer grandfathered plans, but do for the reasons you listed.
Grandfathering exists because enough of the time if you tell a customer their plan is going away, they won't sign up for a new plan with you, they'll go to another company.
If they had ended the plan several years ago, I would have dropped at least two of my existing four unlimited plans.
It's better to retain a million customers on an ancient plan than to discontinue the plan and lose even 20% of them.
In my case, they are likely to lose 50% of their plans, and the two they lose will be the most profitable ones (the ones that are rarely used, but we kept just in case.
It makes more sense to slightly increase the price, that's a lot less friction than "Your plan is ending, here's a new SIM card, sign up for a new plan."
That is what they did twice so far (from $24.99 to $29.99 to $34.99), so I am surprised they did not do it again.
A lot of people will take that chance to look at all their options.
Yes, very much so. It was worth keeping them because they would have gone away, but given how little they got used, it will save me about $700 a year to just cancel them.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
They've been raising the price of my grandfathered plan for years now and my coverage has gotten considerably worse that I get no data despite being at full bars in a damn parking lot and not hitting my limit before I start getting throttled. Last month I did the Verizon one month free trial and good lord the difference is night and day, and now I'm on T-Mobile's three month free trial and while it's not as good as Verizon's was it's still objectively better than AT&T's.

It's clear at this point AT&T doesn't want your business. Their coverage and network has gotten considerably worse and they've been jacking up prices to boot for worse connectivity. If they're gonna make you pay more, you might as well just switch to a different carrier and get better coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.