Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kat17man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
I have an IPHONE 6S that may be on it's last legs. Screen touch is erratic. I'm thinking of picking up a new iPhoneSE tomorrow. Cash purchase at my local Apple Store. I want to pop in my present SIM card to the ONLY phone Att knows about. I assume I'll have a fully functional phone when I leave the store.

Then when the new phones come out, I'm getting the standard 12 that I want to use with my present number. Will I still be good with ATT with just one number (like the SE no longer exists) or will I end up paying for 2 devices with ATT?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Just make sure you purchase the no SIM (no carrier) iPhone SE. Placing your old SIM in the SE should be fine and it will work with AT&T. When you buy the 12 you can use the same SIM but that will leave your SE without a carrier, only WiFi. You never will have to pay for 2 devices from AT&T as long as you paid in full for the SE from Apple. Unless of course you get a second line from AT&T, then you'll be paying for 2 lines (2 numbers).

Kat17man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I'm off to get a SE tomorrow. I just saw where Best Buy is apparently selling the 8 for $349 but I'm going for the SE.

Reactions: trevpimp

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Yep you can switch sims on AT&T and they don’t care. Doesn’t matter at all. I have 6 phones listed on my account for one line lol... iPhone SE 2, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone 8 Plus and I just swap between them all the time.

Lmkhow you like your SE.

Kat17man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Yep you can switch sims on AT&T and they don’t care. Doesn’t matter at all. I have 6 phones listed on my account for one line lol... iPhone SE 2, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone 8 Plus and I just swap between them all the time.

Lmkhow you like your SE.
First SIM Free phone I've owned and I've had them all (3G-11). They've never been available during the rollout period of previous phones AND only later, available from Apple. I'm guess maybe 75% of my previous phones were from ATT and the rest directly from Apple. And yes, I've been "popping" sims in and out many times. Especially outside the country doing the "local" boy gig.

Less than 24 hours with my new SE and was surprised to see that it supports wireless charging and doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. A slight step back in time with the 4.7" screen (which is fine). My X had the 5.7" and my 11 had the 6.1". IF I get the 12, it will be the 6.1 cheapie.

Overall, I like the SE a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.