Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LCDurbin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I apologize if there has been a thread posted already but i searched and found nothing.

I can pay ATT $45 and upgrade to the new iPhone 11 and trade in my XS Max back into AT&T. There is also an option to pay $545 and I own the phone outright.

I have noticed that if I buy the 11 through Apple that it has Apple Care +. Should I pay the $545 to own the phone and trade it into apple for $600 and I would only owe $99 for the iPhone 11?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

LCDurbin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
My only other question is does Apple charge more for Apple Care+ that is not the listed monthly price for the iPhone 11?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Apple Care+ is a separate purchase if you are buying outright or even paying monthly. It is only included if you are on the Apple upgrade plan and it adds to the monthly price. I am planning on doing something similar but going with the Max, paying $545 to ATT, getting $600 credit from Apple and paying $499 for the Max.

LCDurbin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Apple Care+ is a separate purchase if you are buying outright or even paying monthly. It is only included if you are on the Apple upgrade plan and it adds to the monthly price. I am planning on doing something similar but going with the Max, paying $545 to ATT, getting $600 credit from Apple and paying $499 for the Max.

I had a feeling it would be separate and additional fee. If the Apple Care+ is not included, what is the advantage of going the route we are going as opposed to renewing with ATT and trading in?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
If you renew the Next up plan with ATT they add an extra $5/month for the privilege. And now it's a 30 month plan that you can't upgrade for 15 months unless you pay off early. Plus you save $55 on the trade in. Buying from Apple always seems like the easier option.

Reactions: LCDurbin

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If you buy or upgrade through Apple, your iPhone arrives unlocked in the box. This means you can use non-AT&T SIM cards for when you travel internationally or even decide to switch carriers. I believe if you upgrade with AT&T Next, you can only ask AT&T to unlock your iPhone after you make all the payments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.