Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I had AT&T postpaid for over 15 years. Ported to their prepaid plans 4 years ago. Completed the process at an AT&T corporate store. If using a store, you must use a corporate store rather than an authorized retailer. I have never had a problem with the service and have changed plans using their online website. Like another poster, I purchase prepaid phone cards from Target online when they are on sale - saving money and taxes. I will never go back to postpaid. That is a racket.
So you have not been disappointed with service being on a lower tier? No issues?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
So you have not been disappointed with service being on a lower tier? No issues?
In terms of the QCI value, most AT&T postpaid plans (except Elite/Premium) are still the same as most prepaid plans (the exception is the cheaper unlimited plan). Since you're not on Elite/Premium, you'd have the same experience as your current plan. In most cases where AT&T has good service (capacity to the tower and a lot of spectrum deployed), even on a lower QCI plan (like the regular Cricket Unlimited Core plan), things are fine enough you won't notice (I say this having used AT&T postpaid, AT&T prepaid, Cricket, and an AT&T Business plan at work in the same area).

As others have said, there is some push-pull and it seems AT&T has at least 3 tiers. You're in the middle right now and would stay there if you went with a capped plan (5GB, 8GB, 15GB, 16GB).

Reactions: Nhwhazup

jagfan

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
JAX, FL area
Correct, no issues. Our level of service is no better or worse now than when on postpaid. The AT&T Prepaid Discussion on HowardForums has much general and technical info on the prepaid service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhwhazup

mikestanek1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
Thanks so much for all your feedback. I just paid for the 300/year 16 gb per month plan. I did it online. I will keep my current plan for a few extra weeks and swap SIM cards back and forth to see if any major difference in service. Worst case scenario, I can give the prepaid to one of the kids or sell it discounted to a family member.

The current plan I have is the Elite Unlimited which is 95 per month. I pay 75 after my discounts. So if the prepaid works out it’s 3 times cheaper.
Hello! I'm thinking about switching from postpaid to prepaid as well and am just wondering how it's going for you. I live in PA and have always had good service with AT&T. I have an old plan that I receive a discount on, but the price keeps going up apparently and I've had enough of paying $110/month. I can switch to the prepaid for $30/month and still be just fine on data. I'm on Wifi almost always so I don't even know if the data speeds would be a big deal at all. Probably not. Pretty sure as long as I'm on Wifi then the AT&T network is not even in play at that point. The $110 I pay now is for my phone and my wife's, so switching to prepaid would put us at $60 which is a great deal. Can you let me know how your experience has been so far?

mikestanek1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
So far I see no difference with service. I have done comparisons driving around looking at my service compared with my husband's post paid plan. I even did the Speedtest app - no difference.
Good to know. I'm a bit hesitant to switch to prepaid since I am getting a discount now and if I do go back to postpaid I think my minimum for 2 lines is $120 + taxes/fess. Not fun. I think I'll switch to prepaid though after we get our new phones. In September. Worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.