Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Hi, so I just switched from Verizon to ATT yesterday and brought my own device which is paid for. I’m coming from an 11 pro max. I didn’t upgrade during the switch because I was just going to wait until the 14 comes out. However, overnight I changed my mind and now want to gift my phone to my younger sister in law and get the 13.

I went to ATT today to simply buy the phone outright. No problem right? Well they say I can’t get a new phone for 6 MONTHS!! I’m trying to give them hundreds of dollars and they won’t let me. Anyone dealt with that before? Workaround? Can I just buy a phone direct from Apple and pop my sim into it and that’s it? It’s enough of a stupid nonsensical thing that I’ll switch back to Verizon if not resolved.

Thanks

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Just buy from Apple. You probably had some deal with their Bring Your Own Device that is stopping you from buying from AT&T for six months.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi, so I just switched from Verizon to ATT yesterday and brought my own device which is paid for. I’m coming from an 11 pro max. I didn’t upgrade during the switch because I was just going to wait until the 14 comes out. However, overnight I changed my mind and now want to gift my phone to my younger sister in law and get the 13.

I went to ATT today to simply buy the phone outright. No problem right? Well they say I can’t get a new phone for 6 MONTHS!! I’m trying to give them hundreds of dollars and they won’t let me. Anyone dealt with that before? Workaround? Can I just buy a phone direct from Apple and pop my sim into it and that’s it? It’s enough of a stupid nonsensical thing that I’ll switch back to Verizon if not resolved.

Thanks

If paying cash anyway, buying from Apple directly is best since you won’t need to go through the hassle of requesting to unlock from AT&T.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

Thanks
Did you go to an official AT&T store, or an authorized reseller?

Also wanted to make sure you didn't throw them for a loop with the "buy outright" strategy. They will probably prefer to put you on a 36 month payment plan, but you can literally pay that off in month #2 with no penalties/hassles.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Buy straight from Apple which is what I always do. I’ve had bad experiences with trying to either upgrade or buy a device outright from my carrier, T-Mobile. Plus, it’ll already come unlocked.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
That is what you would expect from AT&T. Has had the worst management of the major cell phone carriers. Lost billions of dollars on bad purchases (DirecTV, etc.). Has worst 5G performance in the country. Does everything it can to get more money from customers. I had to leave grandfathered plan as they required switching to a new plan to implement new features. For those still on grandfathered plans they kept hiking rates. DirectTV had the best product and support in the industry - they destroyed it. HBO was a unique, premium service, and now its just another streaming service. Screen Savers on their tv product were ads for pay-per-view. They have a lot of debt so they likely aren't going to change in the immediate future.

If you can't switch back to Verizon or T-Mobile expect to have the same type of problems in the future.

End of rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.