Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Hello,

I have a mac pro 4.1 from 2009. It is currently running mac os 10.8.5 mountain lion. The gt120 is being used as the GPU, all pcie and other accessories have been removed, boot room version is b07, no usb or other devices are connected except the original keyboard wired along with mouse and dvi port off the gt120 to a display.

Here's the issue:

The firmware tool and efi update function quite well (after going through 5570 and 5530 errors I can now get it to work each time). When it finishes and tells me to follow the procedure I go to shut down the computer let it sit for a second after its powered down and then hold the button for the flashing lights as well as the tone I then release the button. Problem is it never goes to progress bar it simply boots the os again only to read boot rom b07 and mac pro 4.1 still. I have tried a fresh install of snow leopard on a different drive. I'm at my wits end here anyone have any ideas? I need to get windows 10 on this computer

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
It might be a little early to release the button.
You can keep holding the button until you see the progress bar or the optical drive opens.
I will try that before when I kept holding the button it would just be a black screen until I released it. I will try your tip.
[doublepost=1561521740][/doublepost]So I did what you said it simply went to the apple icon and wen straight to os still. I will try the same thing with my snow leopard drive real quick.

kazkus

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
Actually, I got another Mac Pro 2009 today, because one of mine was broken, and flashed the firmware 3 times as follows this evening.
MP41.0081.B07 -> MP51.007F.B03 -> MP51.0089.B00 -> 144.0.0.0.0
Good luck.

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Actually, I got another Mac Pro 2009 today, because one of mine was broken, and flashed the firmware 3 times as follows this evening.
MP41.0081.B07 -> MP51.007F.B03 -> MP51.0089.B00 -> 144.0.0.0.0
Good luck.
I just dont get why it wont flash I've tried pretty much everything I've read online. My boot rom is right I'm running mountain lion I've got all stock stuff. Driving me nuts hoping somebody has an answer I've been at this for a number of days searching endlessly

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
I used the information found on this ifixit site to flash my 4,1.
Went off without a hitch.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Upgrade+the+Firmware+of+a+2009+Mac+Pro+41/98985
Thanks for your recommendation. Problem is bud I've done that and it just boots into mac os and wont do the loading bar. Also I do not have sip functionality because I am on 10.8.5 I have also tried the firmware install the same way on snow leopard and same result. It boots up and simply goes straight to the os
[doublepost=1561523170][/doublepost]
I flashed the firmware from MP41.0081.B07 to MP51.007F.B03 with Yosemite today.
I remember that I used El Capitan early this year.
I have already tried snow leopard and mountain lion do you think yosemite would make a difference? I have heard of hard drives stopping the firmware install at power up. which I have tried two different drives with mountain lion and one other one with snow leopard. No dice

kazkus

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
I have already tried snow leopard and mountain lion do you think yosemite would make a difference?
I don't think OS version matters, because Snow Leopard was released in 2011, and Mountain Lion was released in 2013. I think it was in 2011 that it was discovered at netkas forum. But I am not so sure.
Simply I used Yosemite today, because I did not have the older version of macOS.

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
I don't think OS version matters, because Snow Leopard was released in 2011, and Mountain Lion was released in 2013. I think it was in 2011 that it was discovered at netkas forum. But I am not so sure.
Simply I used Yosemite today, because I did not have the older version of macOS.
I do have yosemite on a macbook pro. Couldnt I carbon copy that and drop a drive in and try it? Or simply pull that drive out and pop it in?

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
If you can easily pull the drive from MacBook Pro, and if I were in your situation, I would pull the drive from MacBook Pro and put it in Mac Pro.
I have the 2.5 to 3.5 inch brackets on hand to plug it right in I'll try that

kazkus

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
When it finishes and tells me to follow the procedure I go to shut down the computer
Did you click OK button?
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 7.45.08 PM.png

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Now onto install windows ten via efi so I can use an external thunderbolt chassis to run universal audio octo dsp card and apollo 8p mkii alongside my pro tool hd 2 pcie accel system. Epic!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks for your recommendation. Problem is bud I've done that and it just boots into mac os and wont do the loading bar. Also I do not have sip functionality because I am on 10.8.5 I have also tried the firmware install the same way on snow leopard and same result. It boots up and simply goes straight to the os
[doublepost=1561523170][/doublepost]
I have already tried snow leopard and mountain lion do you think yosemite would make a difference? I have heard of hard drives stopping the firmware install at power up. which I have tried two different drives with mountain lion and one other one with snow leopard. No dice
You say you've "done that", does that include Step #1, the part where you download and install macOS 10.11 in the link I supplied?
As I mentioned earlier, I followed the instructions in that link (no short cuts) and it worked out for me.

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
You say you've "done that", does that include Step #1, the part where you download and install macOS 10.11 in the link I supplied?
As I mentioned earlier, I followed the instructions in that link (no short cuts) and it worked out for me.
I used 10.10 at the time which was already installed on a macbook pro I had a bracket laying around and tossed it in and got it to run. I couldnt get 10.11at the time

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
I was still on mountain lion because my pro tools system will not allow me to go any later

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Also my issue I had back then wasnt the install dmg having issues I was not getting 5530 or 5570 errors it simply wasnt installing the firmware on boot up. My os was mountain lion bc I use this for a commercial studio and that was the os that made all the peripherals, pro tools software and hardware shake hands and operate. In order for audio engineers to stay current with how they oust stuff so rapidly with modern technology I'd have to spend 15k every 5 years to upgrade (audio dsp engine pcie cards, interfaces, plugins, and computer build). Most of us once we find some thing stable we run it for 10 plus years. There are many other reasons why and quite simply mountain lion even tho I am running unsupported software and other things to operate all my tools it has been very stable and is the latest os that I can run that will allow everything to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.