Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Privacy means anti-China in China.

Only when it comes to the state. When it comes to companies China now cracking down on private collection of personal data because they saw already all the security problems that happened in the West, how companies buy and sell personal data, and they don’t want that to happen in their country.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
No. But Apple are the ones making tearful advertisement campaigns about how much they love privacy and consider it a fundamental human right.

Other capitalist companies just say business is business. Tim’s hypocrisy is dangerous as the more he professes his beliefs yet consistently acts against them all he does is devalue the concept of human rights.

Most companies sacrifice truth for marketing. Apple uniquely sacrifices human rights. IMO that makes them far worse than the average company that simply says “we’re a business with no opinion”.
Well stated!

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
I bet Apple will give in eventually.

China money is too good to pass~

You do not want to go against a great wall of steel forged by over 1.4 billion Chinese people.

Maybe so. But right now here is where it's at. Apple has made it clear their privacy policy isn't to be circumvented.

On the larger issue, China is a market that cannot be ignored. Company A makes a stand and doesn't do business. there, while competitor company B and C do business there and reap the revenue benefit of that big market. Company A is then struggling to keep afloat not too far down the road due to company B and C undercutting pricing. That's just the reality of business.
When consumers stop opting for the cheapest prices possible(as a start), that's where change happens. Otherwise It's a dog and pony show for any consumer to be upset that companies are doing business in China (and therefore playing by the rules set down by that country).

4tune8chance

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Brisbane, Australia

Apple's crackdown on Chinese apps that tried to bypass its new privacy rules has successfully thwarted a coordinated effort to create a new way of tracking iPhones for advertising in the country, according to a new report today.

app-tracking-pop-up-ios-14.jpg

Introduced in iOS 14.5, Apple's App Tracking Transparency rules require apps that access an iPhone's ad identifier or IDFA must ask a user's permission before tracking is allowed. As reported by the Financial Times in March, however, the change spurred ad and tech groups in China to develop a new way of tracking users without their consent, called CAID.

Along with the state-backed China Advertising Association (CAA), tech groups led by Baidu, Tencent, and TikTok parent ByteDance began testing CAID to see if it would let them identify users even if they refused to let apps use IDFA. Aware of the tests, Apple responded by blocking updates to several Chinese apps that it had caught using CAID in App Store submissions.

According to FT's latest paywalled report, that made the groups involved in testing CAID think again, and the project has since struggled to find support in mainland China and beyond.
ByteDance did not respond to FT's requests for comment, while Tencent and Baidu declined to comment. Apple meanwhile simply reiterated that its "App Store terms and guidelines apply equally to all developers around the world" and that "apps that are found to disregard the user's choice will be rejected".

Despite being backed by the state-backed CAA and the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology, a research institute directly under the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, it's not clear if these groups had the full backing of Beijing.

Similarly, it's unknown if all the groups involved knew that use of CAID was a violation of Apple's policies, although some of those involved reportedly said they believed CAID had Apple's "stamp of approval."

Either way, it appears that Apple's early crackdown on apps that tried to circumvent App Tracking Transparency has had the intended effect of discouraging similar attempts, while successfully avoiding a showdown with the Chinese authorities over its wider use.

Article Link: Attempts to Circumvent Apple's App Tracking Transparency Rules in China Reportedly Fail to Gain Traction
And now we wait for the inevitable repercussions from the CCP.

Reactions: Shirasaki

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
It can be tracked, not it's being tracked.

Ok, your intention was to say it can be tracked not it is tracked. So it doesn't matter because anything could be tracked?

First, there's a limit to how much us users can do or information we can obtain->process. The only thing we can reasonably do: decide what is important to us(each individual's priority) then go with companies that say what they do and back it up with what's in their doc/ToS.
So one can either believe/try to push 'it doesn't matter, they all do it' or 'it doesn't matter because it all could be tracked'. OTOH one can opt for hardware software and services that provide specific ToS (and looking at how they make their revenue) on what they do/what they collect/what they sell etc.
Ultimately -- and this is indisputable public information -- the Android platform operates under the guise that your search habits/website habits/purchasing habits/text and speech habits/location habits/other data is their domain to use for monetization. Now the upside is you'll often receive services with lower upfront cost because Google/others make revenue from your information. If someone knows this and is ok with it? That's their choice. For me (and I believe many others) Google/others collecting almost every possible scrap of data on me isn't ok. And for those of us that believe that (their information is not the domain of company ____) Apple is the clear choice. That's not really up for dispute.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Ok, your intention was to say it can be tracked not it is tracked. So it doesn't matter because anything could be tracked?

First, there's a limit to how much us users can do or information we can obtain->process. The only thing we can reasonably do: decide what is important to us(each individual's priority) then go with companies that say what they do and back it up with what's in their doc/ToS.
So one can either believe/try to push 'it doesn't matter, they all do it' or 'it doesn't matter because it all could be tracked'. OTOH one can opt for hardware software and services that provide specific ToS (and looking at how they make their revenue) on what they do/what they collect/what they sell etc.
Ultimately -- and this is indisputable public information -- the Android platform operates under the guise that your search habits/website habits/purchasing habits/text and speech habits/location habits/other data is their domain to use for monetization. Now the upside is you'll often receive services with lower upfront cost because Google/others make revenue from your information. If someone knows this and is ok with it? That's their choice. For me (and I believe many others) Google/others collecting almost every possible scrap of data on me isn't ok. And for those of us that believe that (their information is not the domain of company ____) Apple is the clear choice. That's not really up for dispute.
With Android holding 72.83% of the global market share you may want to reconsider your sources that Apple is the clear choice ?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I believe there would be more attempts on privacy in the future. Even the idea of China outlawing the prevention of tracking is not that far-fetched.

Apple please always follow through your promise of privacy.
The fact that Apple was allowed to block the CAID system that was developed by a domestic tech alliance in China without a peep from the government shows that preventing this type of tracking for commercial uses doesn't necessarily go against the Chinese government's wishes.

• Wow
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Obviously bad but leaked by Apple to justify 1 App Store. Why can’t the platform mandate that all AppStore’s that join the platform adopt the same privacy rules and let the free-market determine price, sales and promotions?
LMAO ... maybe because it's been proven that other app stores don't give a crap?! Only today over 10yrs after Play Store launched will Google begin inforcing their store rules. imagine that.

Reactions: amartinez1660

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With Android holding 72.83% of the global market share you may want to reconsider your sources that Apple is the clear choice ?
Market share of Android in no way disputes what the person you quoted claims.
Many people across the globe will always go for the cheapest alternative or choice.
That very much helps with marketshare.

Ever wonder why iOS has a consistently hire app store marketshare, sales, revenues for developers? Hmm.

Reactions: I7guy

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I am sure if China really wanted its way, they would get it
Exactly, it has lost traction for now.
Besides, the conspiracist in me says, if I wanted to hide and fly under radar I would totally act this way, put my hands up and say: “oh no! ok fine, you got us, you are right, it TOTALLY doesn’t work, can we go back to the App Store now? No more tracking, promised.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.