Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdf969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
so i just got these two vintage macs. An LC and an LC II and i want to start playing around with them, but my probem is that I can't use any of them because one is lacking an operating system, now does anyone know which operating system i would need to run these? and the other has a username with a password on it from the previous owner... is there a way to get past the login password or hack it? cause the previous owner can't remember what it was, and he wants to see what kind of stuff he had on his computer back in the day. if anyone knows anything i'd really appreciate it.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
for the OS, i'd use System 7.1, which is avalible free from apple... you will need to put it on floppys , and then install it on the mac...

About the password, you could try holding the shift key down after you turn on the computer.... If the password is in an extention, i will be disabled...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Sadly, you've picked what could be the two worst vintage Macs ever - so far as excitement and experimentation possibilities goes - due to various motherboard design limitations.

If you have five bucks to spend find yourself a nice Quadra tower on ebay. You'll have much more fun with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.