Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Are they high? ATTO wants $200 to upgrade from their old iSCSI driver to the new version. The only difference is that it's signed so it works with El Capitan. The old driver works too if you turn off rootless mode..

Seriously, WTF?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I guess, you need to double check if ATTO driver old version does support El Capitan, with rootless.
$200 is too high. Oh, yes.
It seems that every time you reinstall El Capitan you need to disable rootless to bring it in, and turn it back on to keep system safe.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
What a joke of a company. ATTO tells me it's "completely re-written".

All they did is sign it with a dev cert from Apple. And, they're charging $200 for it.

I wouldn't give ATTO two cents for their "upgrade".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All they did is sign
How do you know they only re-signed it?

While I'm not defending the exorbitant pricing, its their app and maybe they did rewrite it from the ground up. Either way I guess you have a choice. Pay the fee,, find a work around or find an alternative solution.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

rsasquac

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I called ATTO.. They think it's perfectly reasonable to charge $200 for an upgrade price to fix software that needed to be signed.

I actually did the rootless disable/enable thing, and the old atto iscsi works just fine. It's complete nonsense that they're gouging $200 for this update.

ATTO Technology

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
To support Apple’s release of OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), ATTO is providing a FREE update for current users of Xtend SAN v3.xx, our Mac OS X iSCSI initiator.

The new update, Xtend SAN v3.50, will be available on 10/1 and can be downloaded here: https://www.attotech.com/downloads/121

It is important to note that earlier 3.xx versions of Xtend SAN may not be compatible with OS X 10.11 due to changes Apple has made to the OS.

Note that upon installation of Xtend SAN v3.50 on OS X 10.11 you will be prompted to install Java

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I called ATTO.. They think it's perfectly reasonable to charge $200 for an upgrade price to fix software that needed to be signed.

I actually did the rootless disable/enable thing, and the old atto iscsi works just fine. It's complete nonsense that they're gouging $200 for this update.
See the post right below yours.

ATTO has made a post for your issue. And the account is registered at today. :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What a joke of a company. ATTO tells me it's "completely re-written".

All they did is sign it with a dev cert from Apple. And, they're charging $200 for it.

I wouldn't give ATTO two cents for their "upgrade".
Paragon NTFS driver for El Capitan does provide this upgrade for all "NTFS driver for Mac below El Capitan" user for free. :)

ATTO Technology

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
See the post right below yours.

ATTO has made a post for your issue. And the account is registered at today. :)

It's important that our users understand that we are dedicated to supporting the Mac user group, as we have been since our company's inception.

If you have issues with the download, please let us know so we can make this an easy update for you.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I appreciate the fact that you're now treating existing customers better.. Thank you.

You might want to consider offering an actual upgrade price to move to v4.0 -- there's no way I'm paying another $200 to upgrade, but, I'd definitely pay *something* for a version that is Java free.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
OMG. So, the west coast regional rep called me today. Told me the 3.5 update is only free for those who bought in the last 90 days.

Otherwise, FU. Buy the $200 update.

Such BS. ATTO needs to stop being such a pathetically sad company.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Paragon NTFS driver for El Capitan does provide this upgrade for all "NTFS driver for Mac below El Capitan" user for free. :)
Only if you have bought a license for version 12 of the NTFS driver for Mac. In any other case it will cost you money (the upgrade is a 50% discount though). The price of the NTFS driver for Mac is a rather huge difference compared to this iSCSI driver ($20 vs $200)!

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Such BS. ATTO needs to stop being such a pathetically sad company.[/QUOTE said:
If you want to complain, why not complain to Apple for not implementing a proper iSCSI driver into the OS to begin with.

ATTO actually makes some great hardware/software for the enterprise, such as the fire bridge 6500 which bridges SAS to FC typically used for bridging a SAS shelf to FC for say a stretched metro cluster or fabric metro cluster.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
I hate to dig up an old thread but figured this is the best way to reach users of xTend SAN iSCSI. Has anyone tried using the software with Sierra yet? Does it seem to work?

ATTO_Tech

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Getzville, NY
I hate to dig up an old thread but figured this is the best way to reach users of xTend SAN iSCSI. Has anyone tried using the software with Sierra yet? Does it seem to work?
Hey there! Your Xtend SAN iSCSI will be compatible with macOS Sierra once you download the update from our website. The download is set to launch on the same day as Sierra, September 20th. Hope that helps!

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Looks like our old friends at Atto are up to their old tricks. Want Mojave compatibility? Pay $250!!

veegee

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
Looks like our old friends at Atto are up to their old tricks. Want Mojave compatibility? Pay $250!!
If anyone wants to send me their latest xtend san installer package, I'll patch it and provide it for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.