Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EWarren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Hello!

I generally don't upgrade phones often (so far it has been iPhone 3, then iPhone SE in 2016), but my SE's battery is dying, and the connection port is not very reliable / having to sit the phone at an angle for charge to happen. Rather than fixing these issues, I am thinking about doing an upgrade again.

Since I am never on the cutting edge, I am looking at the iPhone 12 mini offer at the ATT (my carrier) page. It is $1.00/mo for 36 months, and I would pay tax upfront. It has been quite awhile since I upgraded, and back when I bought my SE, there weren't any of these 36 month installment plans. I am worried about hidden clauses and charges in addition to having to stick with ATT for 3 years.

Is there something I am not seeing here?

Thanks!

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Hello!

I generally don't upgrade phones often (so far it has been iPhone 3, then iPhone SE in 2016), but my SE's battery is dying, and the connection port is not very reliable / having to sit the phone at an angle for charge to happen. Rather than fixing these issues, I am thinking about doing an upgrade again.

Since I am never on the cutting edge, I am looking at the iPhone 12 mini offer at the ATT (my carrier) page. It is $1.00/mo for 36 months, and I would pay tax upfront. It has been quite awhile since I upgraded, and back when I bought my SE, there weren't any of these 36 month installment plans. I am worried about hidden clauses and charges in addition to having to stick with ATT for 3 years.

Thanks!
Are they bill credits? If so then the only downfall is if you leave you will still owe the full installments left if you cancel. And you also will need to pay the full installments if you want to pay up to upgrade or pay it off. I wish they would have just kept 24mo as a choice at least for the ones that do like to upgrade yearly.

Reactions: EWarren

EWarren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
Are they bill credits? If so then the only downfall is if you leave you will still owe the full installments left if you cancel. And you also will need to pay the full installments if you want to pay up to upgrade or pay it off. I wish they would have just kept 24mo as a choice at least for the ones that do like to upgrade yearly.
Yes, looks like there will be bill credits. This is what I see: "Up to $594 in bill credits on iPhone 12 mini 64GB" (I think 64 GB is fine with me - right now I only have 16).

Reactions: compwiz1202

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Can we get a deal like then - then swap full price (bought from Apple direct) iPhone 14 back on the line? So the 12 mini just gets credits/hangs out. Love to use it for continuity camera.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hello!

Thanks!
No, I think you’re seeing everything. It’s a 3-year commitment to AT&T otherwise you pay the remaining balance. 3 years is a pretty long time, personally I wouldn’t commit to that. But that’s just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.