Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I've got a pretty vanilla setup for my fourth-gen Apple TV: ATV > Receiver > TV.

The issue I'm having is that while using the Siri remote to put the ATV to sleep powers off the receiver and TV, waking up the ATV does not turn on the receiver (it does turn on the TV). The volume controls work perfectly. The only issue is that the Siri remote does not turn on the receiver.

My equipment is nothing exotic. Samsung TV and a Yamaha receiver, both CEC-compatible, with CEC options enabled. I haven't dived into the remote options in the ATV settings app, as none of them seem to apply.

Any advice?

chobbles

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
Singapore
I'm having the same problem with nearly the same setup (Yamaha receiver, but a Sharp TV rather than Samsung). What makes it more frustrating in my case is that sometimes, turning on the ATV will turn on the receiver and TV, and other times it won't. Occasionally, a reboot of the ATV helps for a while, but I'm still trying to find a consistent pattern.

I've got a pretty vanilla setup for my fourth-gen Apple TV: ATV > Receiver > TV.

The issue I'm having is that while using the Siri remote to put the ATV to sleep powers off the receiver and TV, waking up the ATV does not turn on the receiver (it does turn on the TV). The volume controls work perfectly. The only issue is that the Siri remote does not turn on the receiver.

My equipment is nothing exotic. Samsung TV and a Yamaha receiver, both CEC-compatible, with CEC options enabled. I haven't dived into the remote options in the ATV settings app, as none of them seem to apply.

Any advice?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Any advice?

Are you making sure that the option for turning on TV is selected. In my case it's off by default and I have to dig in HDMI-CEC in my TV to set it on.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
my set up ATV -> Denon Receiver -> Panasonic TV. all work with CEC (not IR). my other room has ATV -> Samsung TV, and it also works but it sends IR to turn on/off/volume to the TV.

from the remotes and Devices, does it show "volume control Auto via HDMI (Receiver)" or "volume control Auto via IR"?

if via IR, make sure that apple remote has line of sight to your TV for IR signal.

chobbles

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
Singapore
Mine shows "volume control Auto via HDMI (Receiver)" in the Settings app, but still only turns off the receiver and TV consistently. Turning them back on w/ the Siri remote works sometimes and not others.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Mine shows "volume control Auto via HDMI (Receiver)" in the Settings app, but still only turns off the receiver and TV consistently. Turning them back on w/ the Siri remote works sometimes and not others.

click on it and change it to use IR. that might work more consistent but require line of sight.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Are you making sure that the option for turning on TV is selected. In my case it's off by default and I have to dig in HDMI-CEC in my TV to set it on.

That solved it! Thanks, matrix07!

I had to change the settings on my Samsung TV. In case anyone else is using a Samsung TV, here are the settings that worked for me (in the Anynet+ settings):

Anynet+ (HDM-CEC): On
Auto Turn Off: Yes
Receiver: On

Reactions: Zari
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.