Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Hi all!

I'm new here. I just bought an ATV2 with stock 4.2.2 firmware. After doing some internet search i think i'm out of luck in upgrading to 4.4.4 and untethered jailbreak it.

My only options seem to be:

1. Backup my 4.2.2 SHSH blob using iFaith and jailbreak it with Seas0nPass. (According to http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3418 4.2.2 should be untethered)

2. Backup my 4.2.2 SHSH blob using iFaith and upgrade to 5.0 and tethered jailbreak (if i'm not happy, i can revert to 4.2.2 using my SHSH blob and jailbreak it under 4.2.2 untethered???)

Am i right, especially the second option in that i will be able to downgrade to 4.2.2 with my backed up SHSH blob?

It seems nowadays jailbreaking ATV is more complicated so i want to make sure that i don't do something only to regret later by not having the right knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I don't think you can back up the SHSH blobs on a firmware Apple is no longer signing. And as far as I know Apple is only signing the current firmware, v5.0

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
U can JB tethered to OS 5.0, I did it last week and got XBMC running just fine.

The only pain is the tethered boot, but if you never disconnect the power, you only do it once.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
U can JB tethered to OS 5.0, I did it last week and got XBMC running just fine.

The only pain is the tethered boot, but if you never disconnect the power, you only do it once.

What is the process if you do unplug for some reason. I never unplug just put it to sleep. And why would you unplug?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.