Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Been using HomeKit for many years now but with Matter now integrated within HomeKit, wondering what’s the best way forward.

Currently using 1st gen ATV4k internet connected, controlling Lutron hub with many light switches, smart locks for front and rear doors, and a few Tapo smart plugs w/Matter.

We use the Alexa platform for voice control and our Apple devices via Siri. But none of the Alexa devices are thread capable and I am not looking to upgrade those (starting to sour on that platform because of privacy issues).

So upgrading the ATV4k or adding a HomePod mini is what I am looking to do. Any suggestions on what could be the better option?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you go to a new appleTV, it will be a bit faster than your old one, you'll get continuity camera, so you can face time someone on the aTV, and then pass the phone around to be used as the camera. You'll also get the new Siri Remote (you can also purchase one separately to work with your 1st gen). But outside of the remote, you won't notice much difference in your day to day TV watching.

home pod will give you a smart speaker, so you can speak to siri without handling your other devices.
if you have Apple Music, you can also add music to homekit scenes, if you have other airplay speakers around the house, you can also send that music to them. Without apple music you have access to ambient sounds, like white noise, oceans waves, or forest.
HomePods also have temperature and humidity sensors. and can hear and alert you to smoke/CO detectors. Saw someone here who went out for a walk, and got the notification, so they rushed home to a small kitchen fire that they were able to take care of before it got out of control.
they also allow you to take care of the intercom feature, so you can talk back and forth to someone from your phone

*you can also add music/ambient sounds with the aTV, but can be trickier since it has to power on the TV to get audio out, or if you airplay to another speaker, it can power on the TV.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
If your priority is home hub performance, absolutely without question, an ATV hardwired via ethernet. If you want a laggy HomeKit experience, then I recommend the HomePod.

Reactions: whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
If your priority is home hub performance, absolutely without question, an ATV hardwired via ethernet. If you want a laggy HomeKit experience, then I recommend the HomePod.
Yes my priority is HK performance above all. As mentioned above I do have Apple Music and having automations for it is a plus. I have a Sonos one speaker near my dining room for background music when I host, so a scene to start music would be rarely used.

Before I updated the new HK architecture things were a less laggy than they are now. For instance if I call a scene in Alexa (which uses the scene in the Lutron hub directly) actions happen quickly. In HK at times it takes 3-5 seconds to complete.

I even thought about 2 HP minis to use for TV sound but I already have a soundbar that supports Dolby Atmos so there’s no advantage there. Just trying to spend my $$$ the best to support the HomeKit platform I have and will add to in the future. That includes Thread support.

Reactions: Itinj24

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Don't do anything -because- of Matter.

Also, run Homebridge.
Homebridge requires an always on computer. I stopped doing those things long ago. It’s not because of Matter, just being sure my platform can support those devices as they become available.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.