Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Hi,

I've used my ATV2 box with my LG UV800B since last year, with no issues whatsoever.

However recently I updated the OS to the latest available firmware for a 2nd gen ATV, and suddenly it will no longer give me a picture on a 4KTV. The standard HD television at my friends gets a picture okay, but my LG 4KTV since the software update doesn't even receive a signal, never mind a picture!

I have tried DFU in iTunes and restoring the device, which doesn't cause an issue. However the moment it's put back into the telly, I get no results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Check your resolution is auto and try different underscan settings.

Bentendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
I have tried the resolution mode where if you press menu and up to make it alternate every 20 seconds, but it achieves nothing sadly.

Also tried setting it to both 50hz and 60hz modes for 720p and neither worked on the 4KTV but were fine on the HDTV, despite working fine on the former television pre firmware upgrade.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Maybe check the cables? Could be your ATV needs to be replaced too. This seems odd. Your TV should be smart enough to figure out what it's getting signal wise. Maybe unplug the ATV and do a hard restart. I'm finding even with the 3 and 4 this is a good idea with updates. Seems to clear out a cobweb or two.

Bentendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Maybe check the cables? Could be your ATV needs to be replaced too. This seems odd. Your TV should be smart enough to figure out what it's getting signal wise. Maybe unplug the ATV and do a hard restart. I'm finding even with the 3 and 4 this is a good idea with updates. Seems to clear out a cobweb or two.

I've factory reset the device through iTunes, and as I say, works perfectly fine on older 1080p televisions. Just doesn't even act as detected anymore on my 4K television. Tried multiple cables also.

bigcahuna12c

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Hi,

I've used my ATV2 box with my LG UV800B since last year, with no issues whatsoever.

However recently I updated the OS to the latest available firmware for a 2nd gen ATV, and suddenly it will no longer give me a picture on a 4KTV. The standard HD television at my friends gets a picture okay, but my LG 4KTV since the software update doesn't even receive a signal, never mind a picture!

I have tried DFU in iTunes and restoring the device, which doesn't cause an issue. However the moment it's put back into the telly, I get no results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben.
My guess for what it's worth is your HDMI cable. I know you have tried different cables. My question is are they new cables that are HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 compliant? As i myself have had to change some of my HDMI cables.
My other suggestion is to upgrade to ATV4 which outputs 1080p vs 720p on the ATV2. I have the new ATV4's on all my tv's & the speed alone is worth the upgrade. Hope this helps

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I've factory reset the device through iTunes, and as I say, works perfectly fine on older 1080p televisions. Just doesn't even act as detected anymore on my 4K television. Tried multiple cables also.

That's just weird. Cables should be fine because you're only using 1080p at best even with a 4K set. Maybe see if the set has an update? Another think might be audio return. See if it's plugged into that. If so turn it off in the menu or try another input. If found on occasion ARC can confuse older devices. It's rare, but it's the last thing I can think of that might be causing a problem. You've done everything else right.

Bentendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Could be. Maybe a full reset of the device...

Tried both non ARC inputs as well as full factory reset through iTunes and nothing. As I say, shows fine on a 1080p screen, but is no input on a 4K screen.

Can't understand it, was just the standard update allowing mirroring of picture on iOS 9 etc. No firecore messing or anything.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Tried both non ARC inputs as well as full factory reset through iTunes and nothing. As I say, shows fine on a 1080p screen, but is no input on a 4K screen.

Can't understand it, was just the standard update allowing mirroring of picture on iOS 9 etc. No firecore messing or anything.

Man that is just weird. Maybe time for a trip to the Apple Store...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.