Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Have been using ATV3 over WiFi for a few months with no problems. Decided to try over Ethernet just to compare any differences. Connected the ATV3 to my AEBS and all I get is a blank screen on my Panasonic plasma. No menu, nothing on the screen. Used the same HDMI cable and tried three different Ethernet cables but still no on screen menu. What am I doing wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a pretty long run of hdmi cables I was using to connect from the Panasonic to the ATV3 and they were all mediabridge except one. Replaced that one cable with another mediabridge, made sure both ends were securely in place, rebooted everything, and now all is working fine. The entire ATV3 menu now displays and there is a noticeable difference in how quickly media loads and streams. Thanks to all who provided input. I think I might like this ATV3 thing after all.

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Have been using ATV3 over WiFi for a few months with no problems. Decided to try over Ethernet just to compare any differences. Connected the ATV3 to my AEBS and all I get is a blank screen on my Panasonic plasma. No menu, nothing on the screen. Used the same HDMI cable and tried three different Ethernet cables but still no on screen menu. What am I doing wrong?

is the led on the atv on? i would try to unplug the power from teh atv that plug back in

almonde

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX

I have a similar issue with ethernet an ATV3, wifi is much faster and reliable for me than ethernet (via AEBS). ATV2 through the same cable was fine. Bit weird i admit. I assumed there is a bug in the ethernet driver for ATV3 or mine is broken, either way i dont really care as Wifi is fine for me.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Your WiFi is faster than Ethernet with your ATV3? Most comments in these threads have advocated Ethernet as being more stable and providing better streaming of content. Like you, my WiFi has performed without a hitch and signal strength is always five bars. I merely wanted to try an Ethernet connection to see if there was an appreciable difference. Do you think there is a problem with our units? I thought the recent ATV3 software update would resolve the issue but it did not. Plan to reboot everything as suggested above to see if that helps. I know it was only $99 but I feel the Ethernet should work as advertised.

Please let me know if you come across a resolution to this issue.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
my ATV3 is ethernet, and is way faster than wireless and I even have an AEBS as a repeater in the same room as it.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I don't really see how Ethernet can cause no output from the ATV (OP said no menu even). The only thing I would say is that the HDMI output port on every ATV generation so far is the most temperamental one I have encountered, in fact the only temperamental one I have encountered, on any device. By that I mean the HDMI plug (and I have used various cables) has to be in exactly the sweet spot in the ATV socket or there's no picture. Even if it's fully home in the socket. Just wiggling it can get the picture working fine. So I wonder if by using an Ethernet cable it is somehow introducing some pressure on the nearby HDMI cable which is causing it to not work properly. I have used WiFi and Ethernet with mine. Ethernet does seem more stable with home sharing than WiFi.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I had this problem till I noticed that the HDMI cables were directional meaning one end is meant for the TV and one for the ATV.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I have noticed that some of the cheaper HDMI cables can cause issues similar to what was discussed, its really hit or miss. seems to be more the 5 dollar ones i get from meritline which I think are made in china.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
I plugged in an Ethernet cable and my ATV3 works like a champ. Now I wake up the system via Remote app on my iPad rather than Apple Remote, so ATV remains hidden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.