Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009

What you will need:
Apple TV 4
Computer Running Mac OSX
USB Type-C to USB Cable - http://amzn.to/1Ypo6Bn
XCODE mac app and Apple Developer Account - free

How-to Install Provenance (Emulator) to Apple TV & Import ROMs

When you connect the Apple TV to the computer , you must use the power cable also

How to Update Provenance on the Apple TV
Provenancetv-release

you can use any MFI controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHMt_0C4Iw4

PROVENANCE EMULATOR
sega/nintendo

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance
page 3 troubleshoot

MAME EMULATOR- ARCADE GAMES
https://github.com/kevsmithpublic/MameAppleTV
page 10 troubleshoot
how to install click here #247

Last edited:

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Hell yes. I was wondering if it was going to be easy to sideload apps.

Classic games are the only games I really care about, nice to know I can play them on my Apple TV. I want one now.

Reactions: T-Will

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was thinking of getting the 64gb for adding roms, but in the video he streams the roms from his computer ?
This would save me $50
He doesn't stream them. He uploads them to the Apple TV (using a web server that's built into the emulator app).
Where are the roms stored using that app ? On the computer or the Apple TV
On the Apple TV. But the ROMs for SNES games can't be very big, or are they?

Does anybody know of a build of MAME that works on the Apple TV? That would make the device a bit more interesting for me. :p

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Provenance works brilliantly on the Apple TV. I've been using it for weeks and everything has been plain sailing.
As mentioned, getting roms on is as easy as opening your web browser and dragging and dropping them.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Provenance works brilliantly on the Apple TV. I've been using it for weeks and everything has been plain sailing.
As mentioned, getting roms on is as easy as opening your web browser and dragging and dropping them.
So you drag them from the web browser into the provenance window?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
So you drag them from the web browser into the provenance window?

Yeah, on Provenance on Apple TV you click the Import Roms button, it gives you a url to type into your computers web browser. Then you just drag any rooms you want to add onto that and it copies them to the Apple TV.

Reactions: nasa25

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
How much space does an average NES rom take up? What about the app itself? Thanks!

Provenance itself takes up 58MB on the Apple TV, the average NES Rom is about 100 to 200 KB so barely any space at all. the entire english language rom set for the NES is just over 150MB. SNES and Genesis roms are in the region of 1 - 2MB

Reactions: scapegoat81

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Provenance itself takes up 58MB on the Apple TV, the average NES Rom is about 100 to 200 KB so barely any space at all. the entire english language rom set for the NES is just over 150MB. SNES and Genesis roms are in the region of 1 - 2MB

Damn that's awesome! Thank you.

Reactions: scapegoat81

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

What do you use for a controller? The only one I have is a wii u pro controller which works well for Openemu but I doubt it would work with the Apple TV

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
What do you use for a controller? The only one I have is a wii u pro controller which works well for Openemu but I doubt it would work with the Apple TV

Probably not, I'm using a Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i and it's really good. Well worth the money. The Siri remote does a surprisingly decent job as a basic controller for NES, Master System, Gameboy and the like. But I'd definitely recommend investing in a decent MFI controller.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
He doesn't stream them. He uploads them to the Apple TV (using a web server that's built into the emulator app).
On the Apple TV. But the ROMs for SNES games can't be very big, or are they?

Does anybody know of a build of MAME that works on the Apple TV? That would make the device a bit more interesting for me. :p
So you have to upload each rom one by one
Or can you upload folders ?
Edit : I see you can just drag and drop

Snes and nes are small like 300mb for the entire collection , but when you get to n64 and ps1 the files get bigger , in the future there might be emulators for them

Last edited:

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Will Apple ever crack down on this stuff? It seems too easy...

I don't believe you can sideload apps on the iPhone. Why is it so easy for the Apple TV?

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
It's possible to sideload to iPhone. Lots of people do this to get f.lux without jailbreaking.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada

Damn I'll be playing a lot of old school games and loving every minute of it pretty soon

shacky

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Can you do this with a PC instead of a Mac? All my devices are Apple but my computers are Windows.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Damn I'll be playing a lot of old school games and loving every minute of it pretty soon

It is great. I've still got my 30 odd retro consoles set up in my office, but it's handy having an emulator downstairs instead of moving hardware about.

Reactions: nasa25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.