Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Trying out the new ATV4 - problems during setup.

My DYI Home Theater is wired for Component and my HDMI to Component converter is older and supports only up to 1080i.

Everything from my XBox 360 to PS4 and XBox One all start in 480p and you then set it to the resolution you want.

Looks like the new ATV4 is booting in 1080p... :eek:

All I get is an "Out of Range" error in my system.

I tried looking for resolution but they are for the 3rd Gen (I had a second gen and that booted in 480p).

Help please! Thanks...

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Well, here's my work-around.

I forgot, I wired my home theater for component but I have since replaced the projector which now has HDMI ports. I have a low ceiling so I hooked up the ATV4 to it to get through the boot process (wires hanging).

Note: ATV4 boots in 1080p.

After booting I set it up in 720p, disconnected it and connected it to my home theater setup.

Still, at 720p, out of range. Actually, at all settings down to 480p, out of range.

Matching the HDMI settings to my PS4 and XBox One, which work fine, the ATV4 is still "out of range"

???

When I tried out that Chromcast stick, which also seems to ONLY work in 1080p, I had the revelation that I put it in the XBox One's HDMI input port and watched it through my XBox One.

I have to do the same with my ATV4 -watch it through my XBox One.

Well, at least it is good for the iTunes content and games (no visible lag with the XBox One play-thru).

I won't be watching Netflix or Hulu with it since I have to turn a console on anyways... :eek:

I will put a bug report in with Apple - weird that a PS4, XBox One, and Wii U work fine, yet this thing won't.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I have put in a bug report with Apple.

What they can do is probably nothing as the initially included tvOS is set to boot in 1080p and who knows what's up with the HDMI output that makes it incompatible with signal converters (at least the one I've got).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.