Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
I got an AppleTV4 as part of a mobile phone contract deal, and powering it on was pleased to find it had tvOS 9.0 on it

Not having time at the time to jailbreak it, I went into settings, turned off auto-updates and left it be until I could find some time to do it..

I've been using it a little over the time, so it's been hooked up to power and the internet. Considered doing something at the router end to block its ability to call home but I genuinely thought that turning off auto update in the settings would be sufficient

Few weeks ago, I turned it on to see it showing a screen pestering me to update it. I thought I'd turned tht off.. Yep, in settings auto updates were still off

The other night I was watching something on the media PC, and realised the ATV led on the front was flashing away like mad. I flicked the channel over to see a screen saying "applying update step 2/2" and it'd reached about 50%

Little &$%! No way I confirmed any update..

With a lack of any other option, I unplugged it, hoping it could be bricked/unbricked to the 9.0 version as if whatever update it was doing, had failed. Powering it on now shows a "please connect me to itunes" screen

So, couple of questions:

Has my 9.0 jailbreak ship already sailed?
I presume there's no way to restore this ATV to 9.0?
If I connect it to iTunes will it flash it to the latest firmware?
Any option to flash it to something else that is JB-capable?

Is there any point to jailbreak it even? I use a full on media PC as a home theater system; most I've used the ATV for so far is airplay mirroring the ipad to the TV, couple of radio apps.. I didn't make jailbreaking it a priority because I didn't really find any site raving about the awesome possibilities of a jailbroken one over standard (not interested in pirate TV, and someone said the ATV would never make a suitable HTPC replacement for use with a 9.2/4K surround system because it's just not got the capability hardware wise)

cjard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Not quite sure what you mean; Kodi's an app whereas streaming is normally used in reference to multimedia data. What do you mean by "stream[ing] Kodi"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.