Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I've had my macBook (1.83ghz stock) for about a month now and we have been getting on just swell. Having bored my brother at great length about how swish OSX is and about Garageband/iLife etc. he's expressed an interest in getting a Mac himself.

Long story short... He's picked up a G3 iBook (256mb, 800mhz, 14.1") for nothing off a mate who was using it to collect dust upon. He's having a fiddle with the OS (10.2.1) and wants to have a mess about with Logic/something comparable to assess whether or not he (a) can get along with computer based recording, and (b) wants to make a switch to Mac.

Drawing upon your experiences, could anyone here recommend an old version of Logic that would give reasonable performance on his inherited machine?

Cheers.

womoma

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Derwood said:
I've had my macBook (1.83ghz stock) for about a month now and we have been getting on just swell. Having bored my brother at great length about how swish OSX is and about Garageband/iLife etc. he's expressed an interest in getting a Mac himself.

Long story short... He's picked up a G3 iBook (256mb, 800mhz, 14.1") for nothing off a mate who was using it to collect dust upon. He's having a fiddle with the OS (10.2.1) and wants to have a mess about with Logic/something comparable to assess whether or not he (a) can get along with computer based recording, and (b) wants to make a switch to Mac.

Drawing upon your experiences, could anyone here recommend an old version of Logic that would give reasonable performance on his inherited machine?

Cheers.

ableton live

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Derwood said:
(a) can get along with computer based recording
if by that you mean recording live signals, then rest assured that much slower machines can handle that task just fine. the key is a fast, dedicated hard drive.

but if you mean running lots of plug-ins and soft synths, then the CPU and RAM will be more important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.