Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingseamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
[Mac Pro 5,1, 10.12.6]

For months now, my audio interface (Apogee Duet 2, USB-powered) seemingly randomly cuts out, causing my speakers to pop loudly, then power cycles indefinitely.

These drop-outs are not obviously tied to any activity on my Mac--it could happen when I'm checking email on Chrome, using Pro Tools, on Steam, or even if the computer is totally idle.

Tonight the problem reoccured at 8:35 PM, and I went to the Logs section of System Information to try to grab any relevant entries. Under Apple System Log (ASL) Messages, the following entries were from 8:35, when the audio interface's drop-out and power cycling began:

Code:
Sep 25, 2018, 8:31:55 PM cloudd[407]: notify name "com.apple.cloudkit.pcs.flushCaches" has been registered 20 times - this may be a leak
Sep 25, 2018, 8:31:55 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
Sep 25, 2018, 8:35:09 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Sep 25, 2018, 8:35:09 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Under Power Management logs, it showed:

Code:
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context174.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:16:08  id:0x0x50000818c [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]     
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context174.preventuseridlesleep" 00:16:08  id:0x0x10000818b [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context150.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:16:23  id:0x0x50000810b [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context150.preventuseridlesleep" 00:16:23  id:0x0x10000810a [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context115.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:16:29  id:0x0x500008047 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context115.preventuseridlesleep" 00:16:29  id:0x0x100008046 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Apogeeuet USB:fd500000:2,1.context.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:14:11  id:0x0x5000081cd [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Apogee:Duet USB:fd500000:2,1.context.preventuseridlesleep" 00:03:21  id:0x0x1000081cc [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context61.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:16:34  id:0x0x500008017 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context61.preventuseridlesleep" 00:16:34  id:0x0x100008016 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context166.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:16:12  id:0x0x50000816f [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:05 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context166.preventuseridlesleep" 00:16:12  id:0x0x10000816e [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:06 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Apogee:Duet USB:fd500000:2,1.context.preventuseridledisplaysleep" 00:12:28  id:0x0x500008210 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]   
2018-09-25 20:35:06 -0700 Assertions              PID 250(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Apogee:Duet USB:fd500000:2,1.context.preventuseridlesleep" 00:12:27  id:0x0x10000820f [System: PrevIdle DeclUser IntPrevDisp kDisp]

Do these log entries point to any potential source of this audio interface power cycling problem?

Last edited:

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
I cannot speak to the error logs but can give some basic troubleshooting advice.

First make sure you are using the latest drivers for your interface that are compatible with your OS version
Second, check that you are not having issues with your USB ports. Given your interface is powered through USB and cycles power out of nowhere it could suggest either a particular port or hub, or even USB cable, is failing. Do other USB devices work fine in the same USB port? Does the cable work with other devices? etc?
Third, Have you gone through all the Pro Tools optimizations? Such as turning off sleep for drives and the system? I see a lot of sleep messages in the log so that is why I mentioned that specifically.
Fourth, any settings within your interface? Whether they are physically on the unit or in another associated piece of software that controls the interface? Most non Digidesign or non AVID interfaces have their own software so I would check all settings in there for anything that could be putting the device to sleep due to inactivity or any setting that could make compatibility poor, which copuld lead to potential errors and issues such as this.
Last but not least, I am not sure how to check this but your interface could have a failing component, that being the connection where the USB cable is plugged into to provide data transfer and supply power.
I would think a simple unplug and plug back in would take care of things. If it isn't then it could suggest the interface has a component on its way out due to failure or isn't being provided with proper power from your Mac's USB

As I write this, what exactly does power cycle indefinitely mean? That would mean you would hear your speakers pop a lot because the interface would be turning on and off until you physically pull the plug or turn off the system or speakers. Perhaps you were vigilant enough to know to power off your speakers when this occurs to minimize any potential damage. But that just sounds odd that it would continue to cycle on and off. How fast is the power cycle? Does it power off and then turn back on within a second, 10 seconds, a minute?

A note about speakers popping, it is normal when you have them on and you cycle power on or off for a USB powered interface, I notice its not as severe on ones that have their own power supply but its still not good. It is a horrible practice for your speakers but is expected to happen in your situation. You can potentially blow them or damage them if this keeps happening FYI

Reactions: kingseamus

kingseamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
I cannot speak to the error logs but can give some basic troubleshooting advice.

First make sure you are using the latest drivers for your interface that are compatible with your OS version
Second, check that you are not having issues with your USB ports. Given your interface is powered through USB and cycles power out of nowhere it could suggest either a particular port or hub, or even USB cable, is failing. Do other USB devices work fine in the same USB port? Does the cable work with other devices? etc?
Third, Have you gone through all the Pro Tools optimizations? Such as turning off sleep for drives and the system? I see a lot of sleep messages in the log so that is why I mentioned that specifically.
Fourth, any settings within your interface? Whether they are physically on the unit or in another associated piece of software that controls the interface? Most non Digidesign or non AVID interfaces have their own software so I would check all settings in there for anything that could be putting the device to sleep due to inactivity or any setting that could make compatibility poor, which copuld lead to potential errors and issues such as this.
Last but not least, I am not sure how to check this but your interface could have a failing component, that being the connection where the USB cable is plugged into to provide data transfer and supply power.
I would think a simple unplug and plug back in would take care of things. If it isn't then it could suggest the interface has a component on its way out due to failure or isn't being provided with proper power from your Mac's USB

As I write this, what exactly does power cycle indefinitely mean? That would mean you would hear your speakers pop a lot because the interface would be turning on and off until you physically pull the plug or turn off the system or speakers. Perhaps you were vigilant enough to know to power off your speakers when this occurs to minimize any potential damage. But that just sounds odd that it would continue to cycle on and off. How fast is the power cycle? Does it power off and then turn back on within a second, 10 seconds, a minute?

A note about speakers popping, it is normal when you have them on and you cycle power on or off for a USB powered interface, I notice its not as severe on ones that have their own power supply but its still not good. It is a horrible practice for your speakers but is expected to happen in your situation. You can potentially blow them or damage them if this keeps happening FYI

Thanks for the reply!

• Drivers and Duet 2 Software
    • Latest drivers for my audio interface are installed. In addition to this (on Apogee tech support’s advice), I uninstalled the interface’s software then reinstalled.
  • USB Cables and Ports
    • I’ve tried multiple USB ports and two different USB cables. Cables and ports work with other devices. I’m also going direct to the Mac Pro’s USB’s and not through a hub.
  • Pro Tools Optimization Settings
    • Up until just a couple days ago I had sleep turned off for drives and the system until I reverted those settings to default.
  • Duet 2 Settings
    • No settings on the Duet itself beyond a volume knob, essentially.
  • Possibility of Broken Component
    • I hope there isn’t a broken component on the Duet. Unplugging the USB from the device and then replugging it does offer a temporary fix sometimes, though the problem seems liable to reoccur in a short amount of time when I plug it back in after the power cycling.
  • “Power Cycling” Clarification
    • When this power cycling issue occurs, the audio cuts out, the speakers pop, the screen goes dark, and then the interface is replaced by a purple Apogee “A” logo. The Purple “A” logo displays for less than a second, then the normal interface display screen returns for just under 8 seconds (sound is still absent, however). Then another POP and back to no screen and the flash of the Apogee logo.
    • When this issue occurs, there's just over 9 seconds between each speaker pop.

Last edited:

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
The Duet 2 has an AC adaptor. While in theory it can run off of USB power, it could be that the computer isn't providing enough power, or there is some problem with providing consistent power, and that is causing the power cycling. Try using it with the AC adaptor and see if the problem resolves itself. (I had this issue with various kinds of gear that claimed to be USB powered but always needed a bit more...)

Reactions: kingseamus

kingseamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
The Duet 2 has an AC adaptor. While in theory it can run off of USB power, it could be that the computer isn't providing enough power, or there is some problem with providing consistent power, and that is causing the power cycling. Try using it with the AC adaptor and see if the problem resolves itself. (I had this issue with various kinds of gear that claimed to be USB powered but always needed a bit more...)
I’ll try this this evening. Tech support told me weeks ago not to even bother, but I can’t believe I haven’t tried it yet anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.