Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
A few years ago, there was a problem with macOS causing audio dropouts on USB DACs. It was determined that the daemon Timed (if I'm remembering correctly) was the cause and after a very, very, long time Apple issued an update that fixed it.

After installing Big Sur, I'm getting dropouts again and the only change I've made to my system is Big Sur. Is anybody else experiencing this? Audio Pros?

Hensjo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
I have the same problem! But no solution. I´m recording from Behringer X32 and no problems before. Now when I´ve updated to Big Sur it´s a lot of problems with dropouts. Even just play an audiofile is impossible. Thinking about go back to an older system.

phenoplastic

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
I'm in the same club. I've just spent £230 on a CalDigit T3+ Thunderbolt dock, to see if it removes the dropouts and glitching on my RME BabyFace Pro - which was fine until Big Sur. Sadly it hasn't. Have either of you tried to make Apple aware of this problem?

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I'm in the same club. I've just spent £230 on a CalDigit T3+ Thunderbolt dock, to see if it removes the dropouts and glitching on my RME BabyFace Pro - which was fine until Big Sur. Sadly it hasn't. Have either of you tried to make Apple aware of this problem?

I'm sure they've received complaints. I get the feeling this is something they will fix after a very long time, just like in 2017-2018.

I've read of bugs coming back in software after an update. ?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
not sure what's happening for you; is the microphone enabled in system preferences>security & privacy>privacy? have not had any dropouts with my apogee groove (& i live on logic pro)...

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
not sure what's happening for you; is the microphone enabled in system preferences>security & privacy>privacy? have not had any dropouts with my apogee groove (& i live on logic pro)...

This happens to me and I am merely using an Intel Mac mini to listen to music with a USB DAC. There is no microphone anywhere on this system.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This happens to me and I am merely using an Intel Mac mini to listen to music with a USB DAC. There is no microphone anywhere on this system.
right, but see if the DAC is listed anywhere in the privacy pane, and, if so, check it.

the apogee groove is also listen-only...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes, it made no difference.
have you tried a different usb port? are you using a hub? you could also contact the manufacturer.

i've been using the apogee groove for about 4 years, without issue, on a 13" macbook, then a macbook pro, and now on an imac. no dropouts, ever...

phenoplastic

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
have you tried a different usb port? are you using a hub? you could also contact the manufacturer.

i've been using the apogee groove for about 4 years, without issue, on a 13" macbook, then a macbook pro, and now on an imac. no dropouts, ever...
I tried it with numerous different cables, different ports, and even bought a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock (not cheap, but useful to me for other reasons) and the problems continue when connected this way also. RME support have suggested it might be CPU throttling. I have installed Intel power gadget to help me look out for this, but see no evidence of throttling.

Next stages in my investigation:

1) I'm currently running a dual boot with Catalina, and testing under this OS, the Babyface behaves perfectly.
2) I plan to attempt a second dual boot with a clean install of Big Sur, to eliminate the possibility of any other software or system extensions affecting it.

I will report back on my findings.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I tried it with numerous different cables, different ports, and even bought a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock (not cheap, but useful to me for other reasons) and the problems continue when connected this way also. RME support have suggested it might be CPU throttling. I have installed Intel power gadget to help me look out for this, but see no evidence of throttling.

Next stages in my investigation:

1) I'm currently running a dual boot with Catalina, and testing under this OS, the Babyface behaves perfectly.
2) I plan to attempt a second dual boot with a clean install of Big Sur, to eliminate the possibility of any other software or system extensions affecting it.

I will report back on my findings.
yikes. good luck with it!

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
In my case it's gotten better without me doing anything.

Perhaps it's a server-side issue and they did updates/maintenance.

wago

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Hey Folks, I've managed to get my external audio stable on Big Sur. I found that using a USB DAC (I've tried many of them) would cut out under high CPU load (e.g. transcoding video). Machine is a Mac Pro 2019 so it's not short on CPU or IO resources, and the DAC was always on a dedicated port. Here's the trick I've found: Firewire audio is still fully supported and rock solid in Big Sur. I've run this in two configs, both are stable under high CPU load.

1: Hacking something up with spare parts on hand. I had an old Behringer FCA202 Firewire400 audio interface, and I hooked this up via the Apple Thunderbolt3 => Thunderbolt 2 adapter, Thunderbolt2 => Firewire800 adapter, and a Firewire800 => Firewire400 cable (yep, I had all these in my bins of cables!). I was surprised that it worked, but it fired right up, no drivers or power adapter required (powered by the Firewire bus). This sounded pretty good, but I wanted to run an outboard DAC, so...

2: Spending $100 to make it nicer. I picked up a Firewire800 PCIe card from Amazon and a used Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 on eBay. Focusrite stopped support for this interface in Catalina, but the drivers and app work just fine in Big Sur so far. This has coax SPDIF output, which is running to my Schiit Modius DAC. The first setup sounded good, this setup is noticeably better, at least with my higher quality input files.

Hope this helps folks who are struggling with USB audio in Big Sur.

Reactions: stephenjl

noleli

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
I’ve also been experiencing this, and have also noticed that it’s much worse with high CPU load.

Anyone know whether 11.2 fixes it?

Reactions: david515mi

david515mi

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
Auburn Hills, Michigan
I’ve been experiencing this issue since getting a new iMac Pro (maxed-out specs) a little over a year ago. I use the computer with a pipe organ simulation program called Hauptwerk, and when my headphones are plugged into the audio/midi interface (a Motu M4) there are intermittent audio dropouts. It’s a USB unit. No problems if I connect the headphones to the headphone jack on the computer; I guess that isn’t in the path of the T2 chip. The audio is pretty good, but not as good as when connecting the phones to the Motu. I’ve tried everything... going through a USB/Thunderbolt hub, also connecting directly to Thunderbolt on the computer. No change. Reportedly a true Thunderbolt audio interface will work correctly, but they’re rather pricey at this point. We’ll see if 11.2 changes anything, but I don’t have high expectations.

David

stephenjl

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
I have a 2018 Mac mini. I use an Audio Research DAC 8 (USB). It worked beautifully with Mac OS 10.14.6.

Sadly, after I upgraded to OS 11.1, I am now getting no sound via my DAC. The music file is playing in the music app but no audio is heard. If I switch the sound output to the computer speaker it can be heard playing. If I then switch the output back to the USB 2.0 DAC no audio is heard and the music app seems to freeze.

My DAC is seen in the list of devices for sound output in system preferences and also in the audio midi setup app. I can select it as the sound output device in both. However, even when selected, no audio is heard.

OS 11.2 has made no difference.

Interestingly my son's new MacBook Air (apple chip) does not have this problem. If I plug the Air into the DAC it plays normally.

I have contacted Apple Support - they couldn't help. I have contacted Audio Research - they blamed Apple.

Love to have this fixed by Apple. It is driving me NUTS!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
On 11.2 don't get any dropouts on my Meridian Explorer2 DAC, but don't use it for long periods of time.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i wonder what the issue is. my DAC (again, apogee groove) continues to work without issue, as do my monitors thru usb (eve-audio sc203s). my main app is logic pro, and i depend on having my audio sources working... and they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.