Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krapidler

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Hi all

Using the new model Apple TV 4K.

YouTube app audio drops for less than half a second every 5-10 seconds. Doesn't occur on other apps. It's extremely annoying.

This has happened for 2-3 days.

Have restarted the AppleTV, reinstalled YouTube, switched from HDR to 4K SDR with Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate each individually switched on and off.

I play audio via a soundbar. Again, the issue doesn't happen on other apps (such as AppleTV, Netflix etc.).

Connected via wifi. No possibility of connecting via Ethernet (and of course this has worked for several months with no issues).

No clue what's going on. Anyone have the same issue? Is this just me?

Reactions: Natas1000

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
switched from HDR to 4K SDR with Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate each individually switched on
Glad you switched those settings.
Yeah, I noticed the sound thing happening on occasion. I just figure it's a software issue or that particular vid because it doesn't happen with everyone.

krapidler

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I noticed the sound thing happening on occasion. I just figure it's a software issue or that particular vid because it doesn't happen with everyone.
Thanks!

In the meantime the problem has spread, but weirdly not to all apps. Watched Slow Horses on Apple TV with no issues. Watched a show on ITV all with the same issue as on YouTube.

Any other suggestions?

krapidler

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Ok and now the problem appears to be gone? Have not made any further changes - just waited 24 hours basically. So weird...

Reactions: AL2TEACH

JiPPi468

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2023
I play audio via a soundbar
Same here. Vizio TV -> Vizio sound bar.

Same symptoms.
When I rewound the video, the drops happened at exactly the same place! Only with YouTube. The same video on YouTube iPhone has no cutouts.
Also happened on YouTube with the same video on a different appliance attached to the TV+soundbar...
After powering off the soundbar (Vizio) the sound coming out of the tv speakers was just fine.
Some YouTube channels have cutouts on every video i played(~10).
So this suggests an issue in how the video audio was encoded, how YouTube pumps it out vs how the sound data is propagated to the sound bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.