Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthews1492

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2005
I'm interested in doing some solo recordings with my Imac G5 and garageband2. It would be simultaneous vocal and guitar. I have a couple mics and a mixer board that can output upto four channels.

I've used RCA -> 1/8 inch cables into the computer before and found the sound quality to be not great. So being in the market for an audio interface, would it be better to get a cheap RCA -> USB or another one like the M-audio fastrack usb. In garage band will it let you input two simultaneous channels?

If I wanted to do overdubs (one or two) would one help avoid any latency issues? If you monitor from the usb interface is the sound sync'd up better?

Thanks!

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
from what i can tell GB2 allows up to 8 tracks...as for input devices...i decided to go with a firewire interface so as to reduce the possibility of latency issues...the m-audio solo firewire may suffice for you...i went with the presonus firebox, which has tended to have better reviews...but it's not exactly cheap...
however...*if* you want to get MIDI into the iBook as well, then the firebox or the m-audio 410 may be better options, as they include MIDI in/out...once you've added a MIDI interface to the firewire solo, you're pretty close to the price of the firebox or 410 (check for great deals on eBay!)...plus, you have a lot of room for expansion in the future (this was my reasoning anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.