Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Today if I'm posting ,it's because I'm in front of a "small" problem.

First : it's a nTB MacBook Pro 2016 and I'm on Sierra with 10.12.2.

I noticed that sometimes the speakers where playing a little sound/noise like "tick",like the sound when you plug a mic in some computers and it comes from the right or the left speaker.

Most of the times I have this little sound popping when I'm playing a video or a little after videos ended .

I ear this sound too during the startup of the Mac (not at each start).

I want to know if it's a hardware issue or software ?

I think it's a software problem because it 's not linked to a volume too high or bad audio of what I'm playing.

If you are experiencing this or if you have a solution , a news , let me know it please.

Have a nice Day and sorry for my English I'm French .:)

Reactions: tianhuailiu

emiliano_

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Today if I'm posting ,it's because I'm in front of a "small" problem.

First : it's a nTB MacBook Pro 2016 and I'm on Sierra with 10.12.2.

I noticed that sometimes the speakers where playing a little sound/noise like "tick",like the sound when you plug a mic in some computers and it comes from the right or the left speaker.

Most of the times I have this little sound popping when I'm playing a video or a little after videos ended .

I ear this sound too during the startup of the Mac (not at each start).

I want to know if it's a hardware issue or software ?

I think it's a software problem because it 's not linked to a volume too high or bad audio of what I'm playing.

If you are experiencing this or if you have a solution , a news , let me know it please.

Have a nice Day and sorry for my English I'm French .:)

I have the same problem...

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Are you sure that it is coming from speakers? I noted similar issue in 2016 MBP but it was due to electronics... Can you post a video?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I hear a click occasionally through headphones with a 2011 MBP running Sierra. Don't recall that before.

youness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks for your answers guys .

Emiliano the sound you posted is the same I have everyday.

I hope it will be fixed :)

emiliano_

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
In my opinion, it's a software issue, for example with chrome instead of safari I hear the sound more often...

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
It's just the sound at 00:07...

Yes and in my previous MBPs that tick noise was audible when CPU switched to high load or for example after switch on during the boot of macOS.

I had this noise in my 2016 MBP and in two 2015 MBPs but I returned them for different issues during 14 days returning period. Now in my last MBP it is not present.

youness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
@idark77 but why the sound is literally coming from the speaker .

And something shows that it comes from speaker ,it's when an audio is playing or just after ^^

Maybe there is also this noise when the Mac enables the speakers on startup.

finally I don't know and I want to know xD

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
You can try to disable audio (mute) and see if the noise occurs again. In my machines I tried this and the noise was still present...

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
I want to be honest.
I can't say it is an hardware issue because both 2015 and 2016 MBPs made it but I think that it could be due to some Voltage Regulator's component on the logic board in fact some coils or capacitors at high frequency can emit noise (coil whine). The explanation can be very complex and not simple, I mean no so simple to describe in few words. I don't think that the hardware will fail and maybe with time the noise could decrease or maybe increase (it depends...).

emiliano_

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
Since yesterday when I muted my macbook I never heard the noise/click sound...

I'll keep you posted.

youness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Today I went to the Apple Store , they exchanged my MacBook Pro for a new one and.... Same problem :')

It's a disaster :'(

youness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
thanks for your answer :)

So i noticed something :
This noise was present at each startup of the machine (not from sleep )

I performed a nvram reset (pram reset )

and the noise disappeared from the startup loading screen.

I'll see if it occurs again ans I'll tell you :)

Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I should add that I haven't noticed this with my 2016 15", only my 2011 17". Haven't checked the production date (my serial number isn't in the database at your link), but I got the new one in early December.

youness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Hello guys I hope you're fine .

I've probably found a solution xD

go in your applications and open "Audio MIDI Setup"

and instead of choosing the format 44100Hz , select 48000hz.

It won't affect sound quality and I didn't noticed a strange battery life impact .

I don't know if it's THE solution but for me , I didn't eared the "tick" noise during all the night , I checked startup 7 times and no "tick" , no "tick" when audio was playing and no "tick" anymore.

Try this and tell me if it's ok for you :)

Good night bros

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.