Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chdrsto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Hi folks

I'm having an issue with external speakers connected to the 3.5" audio jack of my cMP 5.1.
The issue is ... If there is no audio output (eg. sound or music playing), the audio gets somehow disconnected after a while. It falls in a sleep mode.

And if I then play music or some other audio, it takes a couple of seconds (up to 45) until the audio gets to the speaker again. I can force the re-activation while turning the speaker off and on, or un/re-plug the speaker from the audio jack. Every time when it gets connected again, you can hear a little crack (as you would plug the audio jack again)

First I thought it was related to bad speakers, then I changed the speakers without any difference.
As this behaviour is the same under macos or Windows 10 ... I suppose it is somehow managed by hardware itself.

Is this a known thing? And if yes, is there a fix? I would like to set it connected all the time. It should not go in this sleep mode.
It is really annoying, as sometimes it gets disconnected even if Im listening to music (eg. online radio).
Thanks

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Hi

AFAIK there is no such thing as sleep mode for audio in Mac OS.
The only issues I've seen about audio not working randomly where after boot or wake/sleep.
This was always related to an outdated/ unsupported driver for the audio interface.

Since this is not the case here (you're just plugging in a cable), I assume the issue is hardware related , and occurring in Windows and Mac OS is just an affirmation , hence exactly what you suspect.
I'd do the following:
-test the audio front (headphones out) vs audio at the back side of the MP
-test another known working/ new cable
-switch the MP off, spray some special contact cleaner in the connector and plug the cable in and out a few times and let it dry a few minutes before starting up the MP again

If nothing helps the audio connector could be EOL and/or the solderings on the pcb are broken as far as I can see.

chdrsto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Thanks for the feedback.
After your suggestions, I did some more research in particular on the speaker I'm using (Logitech Z337) ... and it seems that this is a well known issue, still not fixed by Logitech.

Sorry for posting

Last edited:
Reactions: KeesMacPro

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
No problem at all, on the contrary.

Glad that you found the culprit, and posted it.
This may help others who run into the same issue.
If you want , label this thread as solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.