Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I'm using Airplay to stream audio to my apple tv. Its for music so it just takes my system audio as a whole, not just one app. It plays, but theres like a 1-2 second lag on everything. I've seen threads asking about this in the past but no answers - i guess it's not a popular feature.

I'm using the latest updates and am on the same wifi network.

Is this just broken by design or is there a way to fix this?

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
What ATV are you using?
Do you have Homepods connected to it?
What software version are you using?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Macs use airplay 1 for audio only streams.
airplay 1 has a couple second delay due to buffering, it always has, and not a mystery.

depending on what you're using to play video, apple used to do some trickery, and delay the video on your Mac so it matched the delayed audio coming out of the speakers, it's been a while since I've dealt with this, so don't remember the details, or know if it still does this.

the wireless audio sync won't help, that's to get audio being streamed from an appleTV to a wireless speaker in sync with the video playing on an appleTV. Since the audio is delayed before the appleTV plays it, it will still be delayed even if the aTV is playing the audio in sync with it's video.

doesn't matter what aTV (2, 3, HD (previously know as the 4) , 4K), or if you have HomePods connected to it, or the software version, or what device you're streaming to (appleTV, homepod, airport express, or speakers from a number of different manufacturers), since it's airplay1, it will always have the delay.

If you enable screen mirroring on the Mac, it will use airplay2 to send the audio alongside the video, and the audio will not be delayed. You can choose either mirror or separate display, both ways will work.

for a slightly better experience sending audio from the Mac, there is an app called airfoil by rogue amoeba, it allows you to pick a single app to stream audio from, so you can choose whatever app you're using to play audio. and you won't get mail alerts, or the audio from random auto play videos on webpages coming out of your speakers. I used to use this all the time, but it's been a few years, it might support airplay2 now, but not sure.

Reactions: Lvivske

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
This is a common complaint for AirPlay 2. IIRC, the delay is a byproduct of AirPlay 2 utilizing a buffer so as to be able to sync multiple devices.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Macs use airplay 1 for audio only streams.
airplay 1 has a couple second delay due to buffering, it always has, and not a mystery.

depending on what you're using to play video, apple used to do some trickery, and delay the video on your Mac so it matched the delayed audio coming out of the speakers, it's been a while since I've dealt with this, so don't remember the details, or know if it still does this.

the wireless audio sync won't help, that's to get audio being streamed from an appleTV to a wireless speaker in sync with the video playing on an appleTV. Since the audio is delayed before the appleTV plays it, it will still be delayed even if the aTV is playing the audio in sync with it's video.

doesn't matter what aTV (2, 3, HD (previously know as the 4) , 4K), or if you have HomePods connected to it, or the software version, or what device you're streaming to (appleTV, homepod, airport express, or speakers from a number of different manufacturers), since it's airplay1, it will always have the delay.

If you enable screen mirroring on the Mac, it will use airplay2 to send the audio alongside the video, and the audio will not be delayed. You can choose either mirror or separate display, both ways will work.

for a slightly better experience sending audio from the Mac, there is an app called airfoil by rogue amoeba, it allows you to pick a single app to stream audio from, so you can choose whatever app you're using to play audio. and you won't get mail alerts, or the audio from random auto play videos on webpages coming out of your speakers. I used to use this all the time, but it's been a few years, it might support airplay2 now, but not sure.
I've been streaming audio from Mac's since it became possible. Over en, over wifi, over mixed. 5 sets of speakers fed by AEX's or multiple generations of ATV's. Do it every day. I have never encountered any out of sync music. Nor have I ever noticed any buffering going on. If it does buffer, its a second or 2's worth, which clearly isn't buffering. That is until Airplay 2 came along. Airplay 2 just doesn’t work. For an even more frustrating experience, try syncing an Airplay 2 ATV with a 3rd party Airplay 2 powered speaker. I went back to old AEX's and forced Airplay 1 at the source to avoid sync issues, as well as other issues.

Could have been the 3rd party box, but i suspect Airplay 2 is nowhere near ready for prime time. And typical for the current Apple, has less than a 50/50 chance of ever being fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.