Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peetliri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Hi all,

I've had a really good rummage around here and Reddit and no one else seems to have mentioned this.

But, I think the audio quality when on ANC mode is dreadful. It sounds like I am listening to a 128 Kbps MP3 from 2001. With ANC off, the music sounds like normal Apple Music quality.

I am on my second pair of AirPods Pro, and the issue persists across all my Apple devices. I can't fathom how no one else appears to have mentioned this.

I have done all the usual things to remedy the situation: Downloaded music, made sure it's at high quality, tried Tidal, tried different tips, restarted the devices, updated to iOS 13.3 beta, reset network connections, bought a second pair. My issue isn't with the fit, the sound profile, the ANC – it's solely with what I think is the bluetooth connection, or something ANC mode is doing to the audio quality. It sounds garbage!

I have Sony WF1000XM3s and WH1000XM3s to compare them to. The WF earbuds don't have the best quality over iOS and Apple Music, compared to my WH1000XM3s and FLAC. Of course I would never expect that. But the AirPods Pro in ANC mode are demonstrably terrible, as in sounds like I'm underwater terrible. Honestly, I don't understand, it really sounds like some 64/128 kbps MP3. Really disappointing.

Any other similar anecdotes would be interesting to hear. Thanks!

Last edited:

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
I couldn’t disagree more. When listening critically, of course they can’t compete with TOTL headphones like Ether C Flows, for example, but they hold up just fine at the gym, running, or doing stuff around the house/yard.
The soundstage is where I see them at their weakest, but in terms of clarity, I would never describe the output as sounding underwater.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Hi all,

I've had a really good rummage around here and Reddit and no one else seems to have mentioned this.

But, I think the audio quality when on ANC mode is dreadful. It sounds like I am listening to a 128 Kbps MP3 from 2001. With ANC off, the music sounds like normal Apple Music quality.

I am on my second pair of AirPods Pro, and the issue persists across all my Apple devices. I can't fathom how no one else appears to have mentioned this.

I have done all the usual things to remedy the situation: Downloaded music, made sure it's at high quality, tried Tidal, tried different tips, restarted the devices, updated to iOS 13.3 beta, reset network connections, bought a second pair. My issue isn't with the fit, the sound profile, the ANC – it's solely with what I think is the bluetooth connection, or something ANC mode is doing to the audio quality. It sounds garbage!

I have Sony WF1000XM3s and WH1000XM3s to compare them to. The WF earbuds don't have the best quality over iOS and Apple Music, compared to my WH1000XM3s and FLAC. Of course I would never expect that. But the AirPods Pro in ANC mode are demonstrably terrible, as in sounds like I'm underwater terrible. Honestly, I don't understand, it really sounds like some 64/128 kbps MP3. Really disappointing.

Any other similar anecdotes would be interesting to hear. Thanks!
Yes, the APP with ANC have mediocre SQ. It's noticeably better with ANC disabled. I wouldn't go as far as saying it sounds like you are underwater, your music should still be coming in clear, but the music itself is not impressive with APP in any mode.

The WF1000XM3's offer far superior SQ compared to the APP when the EQ is tweaked to your liking.

zhy3213

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Beijing, China
The spectrum response of APP is a bit weak in high frequencies, so it may sounds like a lower quality MP3 file since the lower bit rate of MP3 cuts down those frequencies.
But you may also check out that whether your app or your connected device is using APP's mic, when mics are turned on, the sound quality will dramatically drop down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.