Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
This has been bothering me for years through various iPhones and OSs - when I get in my car and the iPhone connects over Bluetooth, the audio source will have changed from what I last listened to in the car at least 50% of the time. It just dawned on me what the source of this reproducible bug is but I have no idea how to alert Apple and/or find a fix for it.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Play music or audiobook in whichever app you want OTHER than the stock Music app
  2. Pull down from top right and verify that song/book is listed in the playing section on the quick screen
  3. Watch YouTube on the app, Safari or Firefox browser
  4. Pull down from top right. While playing, the source there will have changed to YouTube, etc
  5. Exit the app or browser
  6. Pull down from top right and the source will now be music from the built in Music app
Can anyone reproduce this? Is there a fix or a way to alert Apple to fix this behavior and have iOS revert to last played source after a video takes over that quick play screen?

Thanks!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes, I see this, but chalking it up to the car head unit and typical auto industry poor software design. Seen this over the years with different model cars, but where it is has not been an issue is on cars with CarPlay, always works correctly for me there.

Add a data point pointing at manufacturers: Maps turn instructions. Older model car from the manufacturer fully plays the turn instruction, newer model from same manufacture, cuts off the turn instruction audio. Same phone. Eg. "In half a mile turn right onto xyz" on older car vs newer car "In half a mile".

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Yes, I see this, but chalking it up to the car head unit and typical auto industry poor software design. Seen this over the years with different model cars, but where it is has not been an issue is on cars with CarPlay, always works correctly for me there.

Add a data point pointing at manufacturers: Maps turn instructions. Older model car from the manufacturer fully plays the turn instruction, newer model from same manufacture, cuts off the turn instruction audio. Same phone. Eg. "In half a mile turn right onto xyz" on older car vs newer car "In half a mile".
But this happens on the phone independently of connections to a car head unit.

The sequence above shows why the audio has switched between drives if the user had YouTube or any browser video with audio playing in between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.