Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I am having audio sync issues most notably on the NFL Gamepass app and on the Sling app. It happens on both my ATV's 4 Gen and 4K at two different homes with different ISPs. On Gamepass while replaying a game on the ATV it becomes apparent in the 2nd quarter and then just gets worse. If I replay the game via web browser and airplay to the ATV there is no issue. I've just noticed the issue on my Sling App and am as yet unsure if it is just a few channels or effects all of Sling periodically. I noticed it really bad today watching the golf channel and I have seen it on ESPN in Sling.

Is anyone else seeing this issue with their ATV's? For audio I am running ATV HDMI to TV then output TV to soundbar over HDMI ARC. (The ATV's turn on the TV and shut them down when put to sleep as they should over HDMI ARC. Since there is no audio sync issue while Airplaying I don't see that the issue can be related to the sound setup. I opened up a support ticket with NFL Gamepass and they replied they could not duplicate the issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
do you have this issue with other things? like Netflix or apple movies? (you can try an apple movie trailer for free without having to purchase, and apple is pretty good about providing the same quality audio/video on trailers as the full feature)

which way does the audio drift? does it start to happen before or after the image on the screen.
when the audio "creep" starts to happen, if you completely stop playback, and pick back up from the same point is the audio back in sync?
Or if you rewind/fast forward a few seconds, does it sync back up?

do you have match frame rate turned on in the main video settings on the aTV? Toggle that setting and see if you still have the problem.

sometimes, when video playback doesn't match the frame rate of the actual video, it can cause the video to play slightly slower/faster than it should, but the audio continues to play at normal speed causing things to get out of sync after a bit, since the video and audio are played separately. Stopping and restarting, or jumping a bit can cause the streams to re-start, and sync back up.
it could be an issue with the way the apps are coded, and they are not handling frame rates or frame rate switching properly. toggling the match frame rate might make it play nicer.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Try feeding the ATV output to the soundbar and then to TV if possible to determine whether this solves the problem.
I thought about trying a different configuration, but it doesn't make sense that I can airplay without issues from my Mac with the same services. Also my ATV 4 gen at another location was connected by HDMI direct to TV, no soundbar.

Last edited:

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
do you have this issue with other things? like Netflix or apple movies? (you can try an apple movie trailer for free without having to purchase, and apple is pretty good about providing the same quality audio/video on trailers as the full feature)

which way does the audio drift? does it start to happen before or after the image on the screen.
when the audio "creep" starts to happen, if you completely stop playback, and pick back up from the same point is the audio back in sync?
Or if you rewind/fast forward a few seconds, does it sync back up?

do you have match frame rate turned on in the main video settings on the aTV? Toggle that setting and see if you still have the problem.

sometimes, when video playback doesn't match the frame rate of the actual video, it can cause the video to play slightly slower/faster than it should, but the audio continues to play at normal speed causing things to get out of sync after a bit, since the video and audio are played separately. Stopping and restarting, or jumping a bit can cause the streams to re-start, and sync back up.
it could be an issue with the way the apps are coded, and they are not handling frame rates or frame rate switching properly. toggling the match frame rate might make it play nicer.
No issues with Hulu, Netflix or streaming from my NAS.
Issue with Golf channel the other day was sound ahead of video, NFL Gamepass replays the audio always lags. I have been able to successfully resync by exiting a stream in Sling then letting it require, this forces it to start the stream fresh. However that doesn't work with VOD only on live streams.
I tried Match Frame rate to on, killed all apps, restarted, but NFL Gamepass still lags by the second quarter. Just tried rewinding and the audio did sync correctly, Hmm this is a tough one to crack. I'm surprised others don't have the issue.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought about trying a different configuration, but it doesn't make sense that I can airplay without issues from my Mac with the same services. Also my ATV 4 gen at another location was connected by HDMI direct to TV, no soundbar.
It's possible that there is an issue and it's your decision how you proceed.

I have my ATV 4k connected to my receiver and have never had any audio issues from tvOS 12 to 14.

Reactions: JeffPerrin

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
In my experience, Apple TV is most reliable when connected directly to an AVR. Even more so with tvOS 14, which seems to have introduced a number of serious audio bugs...

Reactions: Audit13

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Today I tried multiple configurations I.e. ATV4K into HDMI IN on soundbar, sound bar out to TV via ARC. Still the same issue. And as I stated at my other household the ATV 4Gen is connected straight to TV and has same issue. I also swapped HDMI cables to see if one might cause audio issues. I think the problem has to be the NFL app. For the most part Sling app works good it appears a couple of their channels have issues on occasion. If no one else is having issues with their ATV's It must be the APPs. I sure would like to hear from someone using the U.S. (not international) Game Pass NFL App to see if they have issues during replay of games.

brotony

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
I've had this issue for some time with all NFL app Gamepass replays with Apple TV 4K. Even using Bluetooth audio to low latency headphones.

The audio starts well synced but just gets farther off as the video progresses; audio lags the video. Really annoying when referee lips are moving well before audio is heard. But even worse when key plays are unfolding well before the commentators catch up.

I've sent numerous complaints to NFL digital care. They don't seem to prioritize issues for resolution. They assured me this one is noted but updates occur with no fix for lagging audio. They even asked if the issue still exists. Can't they just check themselves?

So this issue does not exist on the MacBook Pro M1 on Big Sur? I just ordered one.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I've had this issue for some time with all NFL app Gamepass replays with Apple TV 4K. Even using Bluetooth audio to low latency headphones.

The audio starts well synced but just gets farther off as the video progresses; audio lags the video. Really annoying when referee lips are moving well before audio is heard. But even worse when key plays are unfolding well before the commentators catch up.

I've sent numerous complaints to NFL digital care. They don't seem to prioritize issues for resolution. They assured me this one is noted but updates occur with no fix for lagging audio. They even asked if the issue still exists. Can't they just check themselves?

So this issue does not exist on the MacBook Pro M1 on Big Sur? I just ordered one.
I also opened a ticket and was ignored for a week, then I contacted them again and they replied that they do not see the issue. Thank you for responding, now I can stop beating my head on the table trying to fix an issue that is most likely on their end.

Reactions: brotony

brotony

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
I also opened a ticket and was ignored for a week, then I contacted them again and they replied that they do not see the issue. Thank you for responding, now I can stop beating my head on the table trying to fix an issue that is most likely on their end.
I opened a ticket on the Android mobile NFL app; opening the Gamepass- every game menu, causes my screen to flicker madly and not respond to any selections. I even attached a screen video to my support ticket. First response is the usual- did you try these steps? Would you like to close your ticket now? (Reminder: best to keep scrolling to No and update the ticket). I update the ticket and next response was: please reply with a short video to show us the issue. Huh? I had to fill out a survey to update my ticket. Again. Seems tickets get ignored unless you follow their redundant steps. They make you wade though this mess before they even start replying. Just adds days to meaningful response possibility.

I appreciate you sharing this issue too by starting this thread. In other forums I've posted the issue in, no one seemed to be able to confirm this for me. Possibly because so few actually subscribe to NFL Gamepass or watch on Apple TV. It's possible many replies have come from users that watch the highlights, tune in to NFL channel, watch live with TV credentials or check scores.

It's puzzling that even the condensed replays that get edited one play at a time, have lagging audio. Seems each play should be yet another opportunity to sync the audio to the video. But nope; that opportunity isn't realized. I can't even watch the condensed replay without audio eventually lagging seriously behind video.

My main TV has a component failure that causes the video to go black. But I've got another Apple TV 4K (ATV4K) connected to my PC monitor. I've got a MacBook Pro coming tomorrow. I want to try watching NFL Gamepass replays on it and airplay to ATV4K and see if the audio lags with those methods. I'm not even sure Airplay works with NFL app? (Airplay from Safari to ATV4K?) Casting works from chrome browser on my Windows PC to Chromecast. But I'll find out as soon as I get up to speed tomorrow. (Macbook Pro M1 is my first Apple purchase since the ATV4Ks in 2017, excluding the Apple Watch I purchased as a gift for my wife. I may also be switching to iPhone soon though.)

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I opened a ticket on the Android mobile NFL app; opening the Gamepass- every game menu, causes my screen to flicker madly and not respond to any selections. I even attached a screen video to my support ticket. First response is the usual- did you try these steps? Would you like to close your ticket now? (Reminder: best to keep scrolling to No and update the ticket). I update the ticket and next response was: please reply with a short video to show us the issue. Huh? I had to fill out a survey to update my ticket. Again. Seems tickets get ignored unless you follow their redundant steps. They make you wade though this mess before they even start replying. Just adds days to meaningful response possibility.

I appreciate you sharing this issue too by starting this thread. In other forums I've posted the issue in, no one seemed to be able to confirm this for me. Possibly because so few actually subscribe to NFL Gamepass or watch on Apple TV. It's possible many replies have come from users that watch the highlights, tune in to NFL channel, watch live with TV credentials or check scores.

It's puzzling that even the condensed replays that get edited one play at a time, have lagging audio. Seems each play should be yet another opportunity to sync the audio to the video. But nope; that opportunity isn't realized. I can't even watch the condensed replay without audio eventually lagging seriously behind video.

My main TV has a component failure that causes the video to go black. But I've got another Apple TV 4K (ATV4K) connected to my PC monitor. I've got a MacBook Pro coming tomorrow. I want to try watching NFL Gamepass replays on it and airplay to ATV4K and see if the audio lags with those methods. I'm not even sure Airplay works with NFL app? (Airplay from Safari to ATV4K?) Casting works from chrome browser on my Windows PC to Chromecast. But I'll find out as soon as I get up to speed tomorrow. (Macbook Pro M1 is my first Apple purchase since the ATV4Ks in 2017, excluding the Apple Watch I purchased as a gift for my wife. I may also be switching to iPhone soon though.)
I have played NFL Gamepass replays on my Mac mini in the chrome browser and then airplay to my ATV4K and the replays are fine with no audio sync issues. I only have the horrible audio lag issue while using the ATV NFL Gamepass app to watch the replays. Of course the idea is why have the APP if it is unusable? Also I want my Mac free to work with while the games are streaming on my ATV.

brotony

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
I have played NFL Gamepass replays on my Mac mini in the chrome browser and then airplay to my ATV4K and the replays are fine with no audio sync issues. I only have the horrible audio lag issue while using the ATV NFL Gamepass app to watch the replays. Of course the idea is why have the APP if it is unusable? Also I want my Mac free to work with while the games are streaming on my ATV.
I get that the ATV4K NFL app should be without audio lag. That's the main issue.

The other issue is that NFL doesn't release condensed replays to TV streaming devices as fast as the computers. When I complained that the condensed replays are not available for hours past the promised 2 to 3 hours after completion, NFL digital care tells me to use my PC if I want the replays when promised. There's obviously no intent to treat streaming devices equal to computers.

After much effort to setup a MacBook Pro M1 13" laptop, what I'm finding it that I'm having to mirror my screen to ATV4K which seemingly requires keeping the laptop open and both playing. Am I missing something here?

Contrast with chrome browser on the MacBook Pro, I can cast the tab that plays NFL Gamepass condensed replay to Chromecast only. What I see from my network is Google Nest hub and Chromecast with Google TV showing as available. I have a Roku 4660 but for NFL, this device shows as only available for specific video sites- which means: not this site. I can cast YouTube TV to the Roku.

One last observation with chrome casting to Chromecast devices: the tab only is cast. I can open another tab and freely do other tasks. My MacBook screen can sleep; the lid can also be closed (this sleeps the MacBook). Interesting also I can have 2 audio tabs playing at same time with the chrome browser, which can also include the tab being cast if I like. I'm guessing Safari can also this but NFL site isn't one that allows Airplay to compatible devices. Right?

Seems unfair treatment by NFL for Apple and Roku streaming devices. Also mobile devices like phones and tablets or iPads aren't allowed to cast or airplay to TV devices with NFL app; on TV, I see a prompt that this isn't allowed- please disconnect and watch on your mobile device. Try to go-to web and play NFL and get directed to the mobile app in App Store or Google Play. From all impressions, it seems I was lead to believe if I wanted to cast, maybe get a better laptop. I've had my cast interrupted by the Windows PC sleeping or shutting down while casting NFL web replays to the Chromecast.

brotony

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
Is the audio lag still an issue with NFL app replays on Apple TV 4K? I checked the Superbowl condensed replay last night and had no lag on audio that worsened as replay progressed this time. A/V synced! I would be very happy to see this issue resolved. Should I try the actual game replay end to end?

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Hi Brotony, just saw your last post so I fired up the NFL APP and replayed a 2014 game, and I agree the audio sync lag issue seems to finally be fixed. Terrible that they would wait until the end of the season to finally address it. I only watched the first half of a game but I used to see the issue before the start of the second quarter. Later when I have more time I will watch more archived games and report back.

Watched another full archived game and GamePass behaved properly, hopefully they won't break it for next season

Last edited:

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Multiple updates over the off season, watching now an archived game AFC Championship Bills and Chiefs. By the second quarter the audio lags the video terribly. I am really upset with this APP, not worth my $100 annual subscription.

Coolbob

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2021
We have three 4K Apple TV streaming devices in our home and we were having sync problems on all streaming services with one of them. I tried resetting, updating and using the iPhone/Apple TV sync, but the problem persisted. We got faster internet service and I installed an ethernet backhaul to the WiFi mesh unit closest to the problem Apple TV device. I even ran a dedicated ethernet cable directly from our fiber internet modem to the back of the Apple TV and still programs slipped out of sync. I swapped other Apple TV devices from elsewhere in the home into the problem room and the sync problem persisted.

As an act of desperation, I replaced the 10' HDMI cable that ran through the wall from the Apple TV to the television and the sync problem went away! The 'old' cable was only a few years old and looks fine, but I guess it degraded somehow and was causing the problem.

In addition to sharing my experience here, I made a YouTube video in the hopes of helping others who are having Apple TV sync problems. Please feel free to share with others or in any forums.

Reactions: satcomer

brotony

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
Multiple updates over the off season, watching now an archived game AFC Championship Bills and Chiefs. By the second quarter the audio lags the video terribly. I am really upset with this APP, not worth my $100 annual subscription.
I verified this again today. The audio lag is truly off again, very badly. Again. I agree there's no excuse for this.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
We have three 4K Apple TV streaming devices in our home and we were having sync problems on all streaming services with one of them. I tried resetting, updating and using the iPhone/Apple TV sync, but the problem persisted. We got faster internet service and I installed an ethernet backhaul to the WiFi mesh unit closest to the problem Apple TV device. I even ran a dedicated ethernet cable directly from our fiber internet modem to the back of the Apple TV and still programs slipped out of sync. I swapped other Apple TV devices from elsewhere in the home into the problem room and the sync problem persisted.

As an act of desperation, I replaced the 10' HDMI cable that ran through the wall from the Apple TV to the television and the sync problem went away! The 'old' cable was only a few years old and looks fine, but I guess it degraded somehow and was causing the problem.

In addition to sharing my experience here, I made a YouTube video in the hopes of helping others who are having Apple TV sync problems. Please feel free to share with others or in any forums.
Our issue is not across all streaming APPS, only with the NFL GAMEPASS APP.

brotony

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
So I'm looking for audio sync issues again since NFL has integrated Gamepass into NFL app. I'm not seeing audio sync issues playing a full game (Hall of Fame bowl).

I really like that auto play that was prone to spoil outcomes has not launched. I like that relevant game highlights have moved back to game replay screen where they belong and so far have not included ads- as they shouldn't for subscribed members.

What isn't working at the moment is hiding scores. It seems stuck on "show scores" as if they're hidden. But they aren't; can't toggle this setting with Apple TV 4K first generation model. If it matters, I'm on the latest tvOS beta. I checked my other TV platform devices for NFL app scores; Google TV with Chromecast and Android mobile phone apps have this issue too. Roku 4660 and Fire TV 4K Stick don't have this hide scores issue.

Appears to me at the moment, fix the ability to hide scores and I'm very happy with the app changes. As per usual though, I can't watch NFL Gamepass replays knowing the score in advance; I'd watch it on another device. If the NFL has made such progress, maybe they can fix this before regular season. Anyone else confirm these fixes and score hiding issue? I've opened another ticket with NFL digital care.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
So I'm looking for audio sync issues again since NFL has integrated Gamepass into NFL app. I'm not seeing audio sync issues playing a full game (Hall of Fame bowl).

I really like that auto play that was prone to spoil outcomes has not launched. I like that relevant game highlights have moved back to game replay screen where they belong and so far have not included ads- as they shouldn't for subscribed members.

What isn't working at the moment is hiding scores. It seems stuck on "show scores" as if they're hidden. But they aren't; can't toggle this setting with Apple TV 4K first generation model. If it matters, I'm on the latest tvOS beta. I checked my other TV platform devices for NFL app scores; Google TV with Chromecast and Android mobile phone apps have this issue too. Roku 4660 and Fire TV 4K Stick don't have this hide scores issue.

Appears to me at the moment, fix the ability to hide scores and I'm very happy with the app changes. As per usual though, I can't watch NFL Gamepass replays knowing the score in advance; I'd watch it on another device. If the NFL has made such progress, maybe they can fix this before regular season. Anyone else confirm these fixes and score hiding issue? I've opened another ticket with NFL digital care.
Since they just auto erupted my subscription I decided to try an archive to see if it is worth keeping or cancelling. I’m replaying the 2019 Super Bowl and am deep into the 4th quarter without sync issues, hopefully it will remain this way for the season.

And yes you are correct I cannot toggle off scores with my Apple TV 4K 1st gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.