Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
Question for the audiophiles:

I've had my M50xBT headphones for over a week now and I've been testing them out in Amazon Music HD. So far I've been very impressed with the richness and detail. I use them mostly wired, but occasionally I do switch to bluetooth. But I'm wondering if I'm getting the benefits of the high bitrate music wirelessly. The headphones support AAC and aptX, but I believe apple products will only support AAC (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if this is the case, am I losing audio quality over bluetooth? I'm not even sure I can hear the difference because I'm not usually in an environment quiet enough.

Thanks for your time!

buklauu

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
From what I understand, Bluetooth will always lose some data compared to wired. However, unless you have great hearing and/or great equipment and source material, chances are you won't be able to tell the difference. I also believe you're right that Apple products prefer AAC, and this is likely absolute when it comes to the iPhone/iPad. However there may be ways to force aptX on macOS if you're listening through an iMac/Macbook.

Again, it all depends if you can even tell a difference in the first place, but I frequently see aptX being recommended over most other Bluetooth codecs. If you're stuck on an iPhone/iPad, I think the best possible quality would be source music that's already in lossy AAC, or if it's lossless, ALAC (since it uses the AAC .m4a container), but that's just conjecture.

Reactions: bsamcash

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
From what I understand, Bluetooth will always lose some data compared to wired. However, unless you have great hearing and/or great equipment and source material, chances are you won't be able to tell the difference. I also believe you're right that Apple products prefer AAC, and this is likely absolute when it comes to the iPhone/iPad. However there may be ways to force aptX on macOS if you're listening through an iMac/Macbook.

Again, it all depends if you can even tell a difference in the first place, but I frequently see aptX being recommended over most other Bluetooth codecs. If you're stuck on an iPhone/iPad, I think the best possible quality would be source music that's already in lossy AAC, or if it's lossless, ALAC (since it uses the AAC .m4a container), but that's just conjecture.
Thanks for your response. I actually ended up returning the BT version and got the wired M50x instead.

Reactions: buklauu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.