Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
A) Homepods playing content on their own (not paired to anything):

-Content can stop randomly at any given time. No buffering, no skipping a beat, just stop dead. If you tell Siri to continue, it will resume playback, but it will stop again at any given time (filled officially as a bug by Apple, it will be fixed in an upcoming software update).

-Gapless playback seems to be broken for Apple Music, both for lossless and Atmos tracks. (very annoying, because it is a very jarring gap between tracks).

-If you are playing a podcast and tell Siri to, say, play a radio station, she will comply verbally, and after a bit of silence, it will continue to play the podcast. The only way to rectify the situation is to stop the podcast playback beforehand.

-Atmos tracks from Apple Music are now very loud and full without the need to enable soundcheck (great!), which previously was an issue, but now lossless tracks are much lower and muddy than before, and the mix sounds weird on them (filled as a bug officially by Apple, it will be fixed in an upcoming software update).

• When given an Atmos track from Apple Music, the Homepod Mini will sometimes play the AAC stereo version of the track instead of the lossless one (filled as a bug officially by Apple, it will be fixed in an upcoming software update).
B) Homepods set as the default audio output with an Apple TV 4K:

-Surround sound processing not working correctly, particularly for Atmos content (this one only applies to big homepods, not Minis): before, the Atmos badge would appear in the swipe down menu while watching something, but not anymore, when it should appear (filled to Apple as a bug officially, it will be fixed with an upcoming software update).

-Siri wont work for either Apple Music or podcast (will say "sorry, there is a problem with"...). Filled as a bug officially by Apple, a fix its own its way.

-Transfer content from one room to the other via Siri wont work if the destination room have the homepods set as the default audio output of an Apple TV 4K. Siri will comply verbally, but you will only get silence.

And I think that´s it, as a far as I know. If you have been experiencing another issues, let me know.

Reactions: JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
If I ask Siri to play. She’ll ask in here or in my bedroom. If I say, “here” and she’ll just ask the same thing again and again. It was fine on 16.

I had HomePods playing on their own with 16. It was so bad that I had to unplug them. They would just play randomly. It scared the crap out of me in the middle of the night.

• Wow
Reactions: B/D

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
As I mentioned on Reddit, I've had it where i'm watching a video on YouTube, the start of the video the audio crackles and goes from 1 speaker to another in a split second. i've also had it where the audio becomes echoey when watching videos. I pause the video & restart it and the audio is fine.

These 2 issues are very frequent for me, the only major bug (apart from the worsened sound profile!) on my OG's.

• Love

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
As I mentioned on Reddit, I've had it where i'm watching a video on YouTube, the start of the video the audio crackles and goes from 1 speaker to another in a split second. i've also had it where the audio becomes echoey when watching videos. I pause the video & restart it and the audio is fine.

These 2 issues are very frequent for me, the only major bug (apart from the worsened sound profile!) on my OG's.

Wait a minute... what?.

Could you elaborate on this?.

For me, on my OG´s, Atmos tracks are finally very loud and full without the need to enable soundcheck, but now lossless tracks are very low in volume and quite muddy. Is this what you are referring to?.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I forgot to mention I don’t have OGs anymore. I upgraded to HomePods 2 just days before 17 dropped because I wanted the Enhanced Dialogue. My sister is getting my OGs now.

• Love

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
I forgot to mention I don’t have OGs anymore. I upgraded to HomePods 2 just days before 17 dropped because I wanted the Enhanced Dialogue. My sister is getting my OGs now.

How are they?. And the Enhanced dialogue feature?.

PS: Apparently tvOS 17.1 brings the improved dialogue feature to the original homepods as well. Remus Larsen from flatpanelshd have test it and say its working great.

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Wait a minute... what?.

Could you elaborate on this?.

For me, on my OG´s, Atmos tracks are finally very loud and full without the need to enable soundcheck, but now lossless tracks are very low in volume and quite muddy. Is this what you are referring to?.

I don't really listen to Atmos tracks at all on Apple Music, As I think they are poor anyway. But the bass is definitely less punchy then before, Could well be with the lossless tracks yeah but i've also noticed it while watching videos on YouTube and general TV watching via ARC.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
HomePods randomly stopped playing.
When the current song ends, it plays 1 second of the next song, then stop playing completely.
Very annoying.

It happens all the time, everyday, with every playlists.

• Love
Reactions: B/D and JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
When the current song ends, it plays 1 second of the next song, then stop playing completely.
Very annoying.

This has been happening to me too. It’s so weird.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
This has been happening to me too. It’s so weird.

Me too. But in my case, it´s been more like it stops playing suddenly and that´s it.

If I ask Siri to resume playback, she does, but it can stop again at any given time.

The pauses are completely random. I havent been able to listen to one album from the beggining to end without pauses since audioOS 17 came out.

Sigh.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Very annoying.

I consider this importantly enough for Apple to release a quick fix update, like 17.0.1/2. But they only do that for IOS, its clear that the Homepods are not a big priority for them.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I consider this importantly enough for Apple to release a quick fix update, like 17.0.1/2. But they only do that for IOS, its clear that the Homepods are not a big priority for them.

I think it has been happening since audioOS 17 Beta 2
It happens too often and now when it happened I feel like I'm too tired to ask Siri to play the whole playlist again.
When it stops, I was like f**k it, I'm not in the mood for music anymore.

If includes beta testing period, I have been facing this issue for like 3 months already.
This is the worst Apple experience for me.

• Love

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
How are they?. And the Enhanced dialogue feature?.

PS: Apparently tvOS 17.1 brings the improved dialogue feature to the original homepods as well. Remus Larsen from flatpanelshd have test it and say its working great.

I like it! I’m finding that I have to ask ask what was said far less often.

Me too. But in my case, it´s been more like it stops playing suddenly and that´s it.

If I ask Siri to resume playback, she does, but it can stop again at any given time.

The pauses are completely random. I havent been able to listen to one album from the beggining to end without pauses since audioOS 17 came out.

Sigh.

I have to go to the next track in order for playback to resume. I can’t go back to the previous track first. After I’ve skipped to the next track I can go back to the previous track that never played in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: katbel and B/D

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The bug came back where asking Siri for a timed request (e.g. “turn on the lights in five minutes”) yields a response of “I don’t recognize your voice, who is speaking?” Then when you say your name, Siri still doesn’t know who you are and instructs you to turn on voice recognition in the home app. Yes it is turned on for all HomePods. It seems to be only an issue with timed requests.

This was introduced in the middle of OS 16 some time and was corrected towards the end. It reared its ugly head again 😒

• Angry

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
The bug came back where asking Siri for a timed request (e.g. “turn on the lights in five minutes”) yields a response of “I don’t recognize your voice, who is speaking?” Then when you say your name, Siri still doesn’t know who you are and instructs you to turn on voice recognition in the home app. Yes it is turned on for all HomePods. It seems to be only an issue with timed requests.

This was introduced in the middle of OS 16 some time and was corrected towards the end. It reared its ugly head again

This is working for me. I asked for the my fan light to turn on in 5 min and it did.

Reactions: Itinj24

Trevanian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
In addition to my HomePod minis stopping randomly, my automations continue to fail randomly.

The GUI continues to be a disgrace:
  1. Looks awful. Design, artwork, choice of backgrounds, just terrible.
  2. Does not report to me what is going on with any consistency. Is it playing or not? I hear it playing but the display says "not playing", or playing and not playing at the same time, or playing and playing, but no sound is coming out of the speakers.
  3. Can no longer play music from the home app, have to go to music to pick and play.

Limpette

Suspended
Sep 25, 2023
For me the 'Siri' instead of 'Hey Siri' option on HomePod has been a disaster as it struggles to identify between her voice volume or the content. She'll randomly start being super quiet, if I am watching/listening to something and say 'Siri volume 50%' as I used to with 'Hey Siri' she will turn her voice up but not the content. It can be difficult to get her to actually change the content version instead of her own.

Never had this in years of 'Hey Siri' daily but it is annoying as ****. Getting rid of the 'Hey' was what most excited me about iOS17 too!

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
That was on the HomePod you tried that on, yes?

It works perfectly fine on my iPhone.

Yep. I asked my HomePods 2nd Gen. I never ask on my phone. I don’t even have Listen for Siri enabled on my phone cuz I got tired of Siri activating on phone and iPad.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yep. I asked my HomePods 2nd Gen. I never ask on my phone. I don’t even have Listen for Siri enabled on my phone cuz I got tired of Siri activating on phone and iPad.
Ok thanks. I don’t know what’s going on here. I’m getting all kinds of bugs across a lot of my devices on OS 17.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I see the volume control glitch has returned. Volume sticks on right HomePod of stereo pair when used as tv sound. Sorry Apple, but I no longer take you seriously in this department. It’s really disappointing but there’s a new glitch with every update and it’s just not worth it.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: B/D and katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I see the volume control glitch has returned. Volume sticks on right HomePod of stereo pair when used as tv sound. Sorry Apple, but I no longer take you seriously in this department. It’s really disappointing but there’s a new glitch with every update and it’s just not worth it.
Very sad but true. I'm waiting for 17.4...or at least 17.3
Being busted too many times by jumping on the first update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.