Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch..._but_you/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Just saw this & checked a few of my bands. Crazy, I had no idea!

I see the serial number on SOME (but not all) of my Sport Bands, Sport Loops, & Milanese Loop (newest version) bought from Apple.

xtyvkfz899s21.jpg

Last edited:

GRT89521

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2018
I have a couple bands that don't have the serial number, some which I bought directly from Apple, some I bought on eBay but I belive are genuine. I have plenty of 3rd party knockoffs, so I belive I can tell the difference. Have the serial numbers always been on the pin?

Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have a couple bands that don't have the serial number, some which I bought directly from Apple, some I bought on eBay but I belive are genuine. I have plenty of 3rd party knockoffs, so I belive I can tell the difference. Have the serial numbers always been on the pin?

Good question!

I believe the oldest bands I have are Yellow, Blue G1/G2, and Red.
I don't think I can see a serial number on these.

All of them were bought with the box & appear genuine. Some were bought New In Box.

Can anyone with a Link Bracelet verify if theirs has a serial number?

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Good question!

All of them were bought with the box & appear genuine. Some were bought New In Box.

Link bracelet does not have any visible serial numbers, I checked two different ones bought directly from Apple. In fact, I've only seen the serial number on the sport loop, not any others.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Sport bands have the number for sure. It’s only on the buckle side.

You can see it extremely easily on Nike bands as they are black and the silver engraving is easy to see.

I don’t know for sure if the original bands had the numbers or not

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
funny i just got off the phone with apple earlier today, after i noticed some part of the milanese loop looked different but turn out to be just dirt, the whole time even they are ware there aren't any serial numbers

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Interesting, I have an original Nike band, with the serial number, as well as an original "Sport Loop" in black that also has the S/N. I did not know this.

Dragonsfly44

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
I have 3 different Nike watch bands so far. The one that came with my watch in black, another in olive flak(green) and another in orbit/gamma(blue). The blue one is a 38mm that I just bought off of eBay. While I am pretty sure it’s authentic(it has all the proper labeling), it has serial numbers on all three bands, all different. Does anyone else have an authentic Apple band with the number on all three pieces? My green and black ones only have it on the snap side, but they are 40mm and 44mm sizes. (I have a 44mm Watch that I put the smaller bands on and it still looks pretty good imo)

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have 3 different Nike watch bands so far. The one that came with my watch in black, another in olive flak(green) and another in orbit/gamma(blue). The blue one is a 38mm that I just bought off of eBay. While I am pretty sure it’s authentic(it has all the proper labeling), it has serial numbers on all three bands, all different. Does anyone else have an authentic Apple band with the number on all three pieces? My green and black ones only have it on the snap side, but they are 40mm and 44mm sizes. (I have a 44mm Watch that I put the smaller bands on and it still looks pretty good imo)

Interesting. I have a Blue Orbit/Gamma Blue 42mm. I only checked the M/L & pin part (other is in storage with box) and I only see a serial number on the pin part. It's really hard to see.

I haven't checked all 3 parts of all my bands.

Like I've said, some genuine bought directly from Apple bands don't have the serial number, but some do. So it's not definitive.

Reactions: Dragonsfly44

Dragonsfly44

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
Interesting. I have a Blue Orbit/Gamma Blue 42mm. I only checked the M/L & pin part (other is in storage with box) and I only see a serial number on the pin part. It's really hard to see.

I haven't checked all 3 parts of all my bands.

Like I've said, some genuine bought directly from Apple bands don't have the serial number, but some do. So it's not definitive.

Thanks for your input!

The silver metal definitely makes it a lot harder to read, even using a jewelers loupe.

I am still not 100% convinced that my orbit band is genuine. The biggest issue, aside from having numbers on all three parts, is the texture. My other Nike bands have almost a rough feel from the edge of the holes. My orbit band seems to be more smooth across the holes. I know I probably sound nit picky. If I had paid less, I wouldn’t care as much. But if it’s a knockoff, I really overpaid.

I wish Apple had made the band serial number a standard identifying mark, though the knockoff makers would have figured out how to copy that too.

If anyone else has any thoughts on ways to identify a fake, I welcome them. I’m not sure how often fake bands are so convincing...see pics 5D7D12A8-BC28-4443-897D-82212EE95980.jpeg
30035E4A-2C3E-46CC-B786-328179DE3863.jpeg
69D103BF-7441-4932-8AA0-1F58A26C96E7.jpeg

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Thanks for your input!

The silver metal definitely makes it a lot harder to read, even using a jewelers loupe.

I am still not 100% convinced that my orbit band is genuine. The biggest issue, aside from having numbers on all three parts, is the texture. My other Nike bands have almost a rough feel from the edge of the holes. My orbit band seems to be more smooth across the holes. I know I probably sound nit picky. If I had paid less, I wouldn’t care as much. But if it’s a knockoff, I really overpaid.

I wish Apple had made the band serial number a standard identifying mark, though the knockoff makers would have figured out how to copy that too.

If anyone else has any thoughts on ways to identify a fake, I welcome them. I’m not sure how often fake bands are so convincing...see pics View attachment 853102
View attachment 853104
View attachment 853105

Going by looks, I would guess that's legit.

I touched another Nike band & mine feels the same.

I also wish all the Apple bands had serial numbers & a definitive way to tell a fake.

applewatchcollector

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Thanks for your input!

If anyone else has any thoughts on ways to identify a fake, I welcome them. I’m not sure how often fake bands are so convincing...see pics View attachment 853102
View attachment 853104
View attachment 853105

You have a 100% genuine band. All the markings are present and accurate. Enjoy it.

jasonsewell

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Good question!

I spend years looking for the answer to this question, largely so I could avoid buying a counterfeit knock-off. I could never find a convincing answer, and I found some misinformation. I can finally provide an answer in case anyone is still wondering.

I purchased my Link Bracelet directly from Apple, and it does in fact have a serial number.
IMG_9468 2.jpeg

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I spend years looking for the answer to this question, largely so I could avoid buying a counterfeit knock-off. I could never find a convincing answer, and I found some misinformation. I can finally provide an answer in case anyone is still wondering.

I purchased my Link Bracelet directly from Apple, and it does in fact have a serial number.
View attachment 2338137
FWIW I think in another thread or maybe on another platform we determined that serialized parts were added some time in 2016, so bands produced after the change in manufacturing will have them, while some will not.

A large number of link bracelets were produced before the change, and therefore don't have a serial on the pin button. I have links both with and without serials.

I'd say don't look for them as a sign of authenticity. There exist real bands both with and without them. Instead, look for the laser etching, something no reproduction has copied afaik.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.