Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I am set to pick up a pencil 2 from someone for $60. They said it was a gift from their employer and they have no use for it. Am I correct in thinking that only a genuine pencil will trigger the hover feature? I will be taking my iPad to test it out first.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hover is iPad model dependent. Apple Pencil 2 on M1 iPad will not trigger hover feature.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have an M2 Pro!
Ok, then give it a shot on your iPad when you meet the seller in-person. In theory, fake one can also trigger if fake pencils is built properly and can correctly communicate with iOS. Just be careful about that.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
All is well! I’m confident that it’s real. Hover is so neat. A steal for $60 from a nice guy who no longer has his employer issued iPad but was told to keep the pencil.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Be careful though. The whole "got it as a gift from x and y" is such a typical excuse to sell off knockoffs, fakes and stolen stuff. If something is brand new in box, the chances of a scam goes up a million fold. Your best bet is punching in the serial number into the warranty thing but even that doesn't guarantee anything as it could just be a copy of a valid serial.

Also depends on where you live too.

EDIT: just want to add that this is more of a general precaution and not necessarily aimed at the OP as their experience seemed to have went OK

Last edited:

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Be careful though. The whole "got it as a gift from x and y" is such a typical excuse to sell off knockoffs, fakes and stolen stuff. If something is brand new in box, the chances of a scam goes up a million fold. Your best bet is punching in the serial number into the warranty thing but even that doesn't guarantee anything as it could just be a copy of a valid serial.

Also depends on where you live too.
It was already open but the box came with it. Box is still in my car but I’ll grab it for the serial tomorrow. I’m just outside Dayton OH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.