Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pineapple216

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
When I updated my iPhone 8 to iOS 11.3.1, the true tone switch in the control center was gone and the auto brightness feature in General --> Accessibility --> Display Accommodations is gone as well.

I've tried doing a soft reset as well as erasing all settings, this didn't solve the problem.
Then I tried wiping the phone completely and restoring it from iCloud, which didn't help either.

The features used to work in earlier iOS versions.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
It’s possible it might be software related, you can attempt to use recovery mode. This will force iTunes to download the latest full firmware and re-write OS on the device. Put it in recovery mode by, with device powered on and connected to iTunes, quick press volume up, volume down and hold side till it reboot then release once iTunes shows its in recovery mode. Choose either update (retain your data) or restore (wipe) to first rule out software.

Verify if problem is solved? If not, take it to Apple for further diagnostic since it may be hardware related with the faulty sensor.

pineapple216

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Good suggestion.
I just did a update from recovery mode and it didn't solve the issue.

I guess it's a bug then in iOS 11.3.1
I'll try to update to the 11.4 Beta 5 tonight and see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.