Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi there.

If you own (or have used or have experience with) an iPhone 11 Pro or 11 Pro Max, can you please check if the below behaviour is normal?

If I disable Auto Brightness, my display is a lot more vibrant and brighter at the same brightness level. Easier to notice against a white background like Google.com. It’s a big difference.

With auto brightness on, the screen is a lot duller and dimmer than my iPhone X or iPad Pro. With it off, it is a lot brighter. Turning auto brightness on/off makes zero difference in brightness to my iPhone X/7/SE/8 or any of my iPads (or Pros).

Can you please check if your iPhone 11 Pro (or Max) behaves the same way?

Thanks so much. God Bless!

Aakshey

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Mine is the same with or without auto brightness on. iPhone 11 Pro.

It takes 15 seconds or so for the effect to be visible. And it’s not visible against black or dark backgrounds. Did you wait for a few minutes and also check against a white background?

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
This has always been the case with the 11 pro and pro max. It’s noted loads of times on this forum. It’s not a fault but if you don’t like the behaviour report it to Apple.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
This has always been the case. It’s noted loads of times on this forum. It’s not a fault but if you don’t like the behaviour report it to Apple.

This is the case only with 11 Pro. Which other devices have you had this issue with? I haven’t had this issue with my other iDevices except one which was a defect. I also asked around and 3 people said their iPhone 11 Pro/Max didn’t have this issue at all.

Do you have an 11 Pro or Max? Does it have this issue? How many 11 Pros have you tested which exhibit this behaviour?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
It takes 15 seconds or so for the effect to be visible. And it’s not visible against black or dark backgrounds. Did you wait for a few minutes and also check against a white background?
Tried.
Nothing changes on my iPhone 11 Pro.

A white wikipedia webpage.
Brightness was in auto mode at about 1/3 of the scale.
Switched auto brightness off.
returned to the wikipedia webpage and waited 2 minutes.
Nothing changed.
Switched auto brightness on again.
Nothing changed.

??‍♂️
[automerge]1577641050[/automerge]
This is the case only with 11 Pro. Which other devices have you had this issue with? I haven’t had this issue with my other iDevices except one which was a defect. I also asked around and 3 people said their iPhone 11 Pro/Max didn’t have this issue at all.

Do you have an 11 Pro or Max? Does it have this issue? How many 11 Pros have you tested which exhibit this behaviour?
If you wish I could try with my wife's XR and my son's 11 also...

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Tried.
Nothing changes on my iPhone 11 Pro.

A white wikipedia webpage.
Brightness was in auto mode at about 1/3 of the scale.
Switched auto brightness off.
returned to the wikipedia webpage and waited 2 minutes.
Nothing changed.
Switched auto brightness on again.
Nothing changed.

??‍♂️
[automerge]1577641050[/automerge]

If you wish I could try with my wife's XR and my son's 11 also...

Not needed I guess. Seems like QC failure with the 11 Pro because many are normal (no brightness difference) but many are not normal (dim with auto on).

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Not needed I guess. Seems like QC failure with the 11 Pro because many are normal (no brightness difference) but many are not normal (dim with auto on).
I tried on any of my iDevices and not a single one are showing the issue.
I cant see a QC problem.
Maybe just a software glitch or a defective sensor on your iPhone.
[automerge]1577717591[/automerge]
Why are so many people saying it makes no difference while others are saying it makes a huge difference?
I cant see MANY people speaking about the issue.
You are overblowing what most probably is just a software glitch.

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
You haven’t looked at many 11 Pro threads have you? Half the people there have this issue. It’s very common. But you need to stick to threads that only talk of 11 Pro (or Max). Not general iPhone threads.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
You haven’t looked at many 11 Pro threads have you? Half the people there have this issue. It’s very common. But you need to stick to threads that only talk of 11 Pro (or Max). Not general iPhone threads.

Yes I did. And saw very few users complaining.

BTW I don’t even think this is an issue: I can’t see a single reason to switch off the automatic brightness, and even in that case, you still can adjust the brightness to your needs.
But it is better to let the iphone manage it (auto mode allows also for an higher brightness compared to manual settings).

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I just checked my 11 Pro Max and I don't see anything different when I turn off auto-brightness, other than not adjusting automatically of course.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019

I checked my 11 Pro but I don’t see any diff with or without it turned on.

Also I may have seen probably two other posts about a similar concern and I’m a regular here. Nowhere close to half like you say.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I checked my 11 Pro but I don’t see any diff with or without it turned on.

Also I may have seen probably two other posts about a similar concern and I’m a regular here. Nowhere close to half like you say.

I have seen 10+ posts. I can’t keep linking to all.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I have seen 10+ posts. I can’t keep linking to all.
10 users complaining is a ridiculous number even for this forum alone.
[automerge]1577787591[/automerge]
Did half the Pro users post on that thread? This is Stat 101.
I can say you for sure that literally THOUSANDS of users are reading this forum.
By the way, if you are not happy about your iPhone behavior, I suggest to take it to an Apple Store To have it checked.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Why are so many people saying it makes no difference while others are saying it makes a huge difference?
Because eye witness testimony is the most unreliable. Use a calibrated luminosity gage.

......or just use the phone and stop looking for problems.

If you want the absolute brightest screen, like for watching HDR movies, turn auto brightness off, turn True Tone off, manually set brightness to highest setting, and don’t have any other settings like increase contrast, color filters or reduce white point turned on.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Because eye witness testimony is the most unreliable. Use a calibrated luminosity gage.

......or just use the phone and stop looking for problems.

If you want the absolute brightest screen, like for watching HDR movies, turn auto brightness off, turn True Tone off, manually set brightness to highest setting, and don’t have any other settings like increase contrast, color filters or reduce white point turned on.
Actually the higher brightness setting is obtained on auto Mode With HDR contents.

0pTicaL

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I can confirm this happens on the iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 14.3) as well.
I am specifically referring to MAX brightness with Auto-Brightness ON versus Auto-Brightness OFF.

True Tone OFF
Night Shift OFF
Dark mode ON

Go to Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Reduce White Point OFF

Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Auto-Brightness ON

Slide down from top-right of your screen and open Control Center and slide brightness to MAX, look at your screen and observe brightness.
Go back into Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Auto-Brightness and turn Auto-Brightness OFF.
Stare at your screen and wait a few seconds (5 seconds+) screen becomes exponentially brighter. If I leave Auto-Brightness ON, max brightness isn't as bright as Auto-Brightness OFF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.