Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starfield7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
I have a MacBook Air m1, and it has been like one year and the auto correction does not work. in apps like pages or numbers or even keynote, the feature works fine. any other apps when trying to write anything it doesn't correct it. even auto capitalization doesn't work. all settings related to the issue are checked and all of them were enabled. if you have the same issue please let me know. thank you

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I have a MacBook Air m1, and it has been like one year and the auto correction does not work. in apps like pages or numbers or even keynote, the feature works fine. any other apps when trying to write anything it doesn't correct it. even auto capitalization doesn't work. all settings related to the issue are checked and all of them were enabled. if you have the same issue please let me know. thank you

Some features in System Settings are, sadly, totally misleading. This includes auto-correction, text capitalization, text replacement and quite a few others.

By the way they're represented in System Settings, Apple makes you believe that these options are available across all apps on the Mac. They are not.

These options are only available in a few selected apps (whose list is unknown) and, therefore, are pretty much useless unless you intend to use these options in those few selected apps only.

If you need robust auto-correct facilities that work across all apps, you'll need a 3rd-party product. I think Grammarly can do this (but I never used it as I never needed auto-correction). For text replacement, TextExpander does a great job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.