Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Prior to 11.4 I had no trouble streaming embedded video from websites via AirPlay when the iPhone and iPad went to sleep. Now, when they go to sleep, the video shuts down too. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature?

I can’t use the “Never” Auto-lock feature to prevent this, as I have a corporate email account which restricts the option. But, it didn’t do this before iOS 11 and it’s behaving the same way across two iPhones and an iPad.

EDIT: Seems to be a Safari issue. Chrome for iOS doesn’t seem to have this problem.
EDIT: Spoke too soon. It affects Chrome and Firefox as well. Seems to be an iOS bug?

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Prior to 11.4 I had no trouble streaming embedded video from websites via AirPlay when the iPhone and iPad went to sleep. Now, when they go to sleep, the video shuts down too. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature?

I can’t use the “Never” Auto-lock feature to prevent this, as I have a corporate email account which restricts the option. But, it didn’t do this before iOS 11 and it’s behaving the same way across two iPhones and an iPad.

EDIT: Seems to be a Safari issue. Chrome for iOS doesn’t seem to have this problem.
EDIT: Spoke too soon. It affects Chrome and Firefox as well. Seems to be an iOS bug?

Try a quick reset on the phone and AppleTV. Mine is working currently however I’ve had that exact issue many times before through various versions of iOS.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Try a quick reset on the phone and AppleTV. Mine is working currently however I’ve had that exact issue many times before through various versions of iOS.

I did reset both phones, my iPad, and the ATV. Did not correct the problem. I didn’t really expect it to since it affects 3 different devices, all of which have been reset multiple times since the last update.

For now, on the phone I don’t really use for work, I turned off all account syncing for the work email account, without deleting it (so I can turn them on again), and that gave me back my “Never” auto-lock function. So that’s the work around for now.

Interesting discovery — when I have Never autolock turned on, if I manually lock the phone, the video isn’t interrupted. So there is more going on with auto-lock than just locking the screen, as happens when I press the power button.

I’m assuming you’re suggesting this because you don’t have this particular problem?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I did reset both phones, my iPad, and the ATV. Did not correct the problem. I didn’t really expect it to since it affects 3 different devices, all of which have been reset multiple times since the last update.

For now, on the phone I don’t really use for work, I turned off all account syncing for the work email account, without deleting it (so I can turn them on again), and that gave me back my “Never” auto-lock function. So that’s the work around for now.

Interesting discovery — when I have Never autolock turned on, if I manually lock the phone, the video isn’t interrupted. So there is more going on with auto-lock than just locking the screen, as happens when I press the power button.

I’m assuming you’re suggesting this because you don’t have this particular problem?

Correct. My iPad and iPhone (both on iOS 11.4.1) will AirPlay a video and then timeout and lock without interrupting the video. Also a friend of mine was AirPlaying an iTunes movie and him and his phone fell asleep so I couldn't pause the movie (I could from his lock screen but if you do that for to long it drops airplay) but we were able to watch the entire 2 hour movie with his phone locked that fell asleep on its own.

Like I mentioned I've had this issue before, quite often actually but fortunately for me a reset of the devices would fix it. Doesn't seem to be the case for you though.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Correct. My iPad and iPhone (both on iOS 11.4.1) will AirPlay a video and then timeout and lock without interrupting the video. Also a friend of mine was AirPlaying an iTunes movie and him and his phone fell asleep so I couldn't pause the movie (I could from his lock screen but if you do that for to long it drops airplay) but we were able to watch the entire 2 hour movie with his phone locked that fell asleep on its own.

Like I mentioned I've had this issue before, quite often actually but fortunately for me a reset of the devices would fix it. Doesn't seem to be the case for you though.

I see. It could be tied to this corporate e-mail account that disables “never lock” that a simple reset won’t fix it on mine.

Frankly, I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t offer a one hour and two hour option short of Never, for just such situations, especially when connected to power. Heck even a 1-hour option would be acceptable since I almost always need a pause to get a snack or go to the bathroom halfway through a movie!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.