Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dylthedog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
Worcestershire UK
Until recently when I opened the Library in Photos on my Mac, new photos that I'd taken on my iPhone would appear there if my phone was connected to my home wifi. I seem to remember an iOS setting way back to do it, but I can't find it anymore. It's been working since I had my M1 Max MBP 16in, and it worked just the same for years on my 27in iMac that the MBP replaces. My MPB is running Ventura and my iPhone 13 ProMax is on the latest iOS too - 16.5.1(c).

It stopped working a few weeks back and looking around to fix it, I can find no reference to the existence of the feature anywhere. It's not PhotoStream and it's not iCloud Photos before anyone thinks I'm confusing it those. I know the former is toast and I don't want to use the latter, thanks. Nor is it syncing via Finder which does it the other way - from Mac to iPhone, which I also don't want.

It was very convenient indeed, and syncing manually is really annoying, especially as it loads my phone's thumbnails old-to-new with no apparent way to change it (I have 12k photos). I estimate that 70% of my mac Photos Library was ingested this way, and I really miss it.

Please tell me someone else had this working or I think I'm going mad... and ideas on how to get it working again would be even better!

TIA

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Perhaps:

Sync over Wi-Fi instead of USB​

When your device is connected to your Mac via USB, you can set up your Mac so that in the future it syncs over Wi-Fi instead.
  1. Select your device in the sidebar of the Finder window, then click General on the right.
  2. Scroll down and select “Show this [device] when on Wi-Fi.”
  3. Click Apply.
You can now unplug your device from your Mac. When your Mac and device are on the same Wi-Fi network, your device appears in the Finder sidebar, and it syncs automatically over Wi-Fi whenever it's plugged in to power.

Dylthedog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
Worcestershire UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.