Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joekun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
I’ve had auto updates turned off for years, and had been planning to stay on 13.4 for awhile. Yet this morning I woke up to a 13.7 update, and to top it off both auto download and auto update were turned on! The only thing I can think of is that yesterday morning my phone asked for my passcode to enable Touch ID, but said nothing about an update. But even if I did accidentally give it permission to update would that cause auto update to be enabled? This seems really fishy to me.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve had auto updates turned off for years, and had been planning to stay on 13.4 for awhile. Yet this morning I woke up to a 13.7 update, and to top it off both auto download and auto update were turned on! The only thing I can think of is that yesterday morning my phone asked for my passcode to enable Touch ID, but said nothing about an update. But even if I did accidentally give it permission to update would that cause auto update to be enabled? This seems really fishy to me.

What I do is go into Settings and delete the file that my phone downloaded that I haven’t applied to be updated. My jailbroken XS Max has been on 13.5 since it came out. I’m not going to use iOS 14 until the iPhone 12 Pro Max launches.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
<shrug> Install the tvOS profile from betaprofiles, it won't download updates after that. I made sure I had that installed on iOS 13 before iOS 14 released, just as I did on iOS 12 before iOS 13 released.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
What I do is go into Settings and delete the file that my phone downloaded that I haven’t applied to be updated. My jailbroken XS Max has been on 13.5 since it came out. I’m not going to use iOS 14 until the iPhone 12 Pro Max launches.

I downgraded back to 13.7 the day after I updated to 14 because I didn’t like many of the changes and my phone was really hot upon waking up. Anyways, after I restored to 13.7 my phone had already checked for the update to iOS 14 again so I’m stuck with the red bubble on for now.

The update hasn’t been downloaded yet so I’m thinking once it does download it I can delete it and the bubble will go away again and I can shut off the automatic download toggle again and then put in the beta profile for tvOS and not be bothered anymore.

I think that’s the only way to get rid of the bubble! I wonder when the iPhone will download the update?? It’s been a few days now still nothing...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I never connect to Wi-fi for this very reason. Anything is better than deleting downloaded updates I don't saying "it works"

I always like to nip Apple in the butt :) Solves my problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never connect to Wi-fi for this very reason. Anything is better than deleting downloaded updates I don't saying "it works"

I always like to nip Apple in the butt :) Solves my problem.
These days as of iOS 13.6 there's an option to disable automatic downloads of updates (in addition to the previously existing one to disable automatic installation).

Reactions: getrealbro

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
These days as of iOS 13.6 there's an option to disable automatic downloads of updates (in addition to the previously existing one to disable automatic installation).
I’m pretty sure even if you have both toggles shut off iOS will still check for updates overnight when plugged in and give you a red badge on settings and tell you there is an update available periodically. For this reason I installed the tvOS beta profile to prevent this until I’m ready to maybe take the plunge to iOS 14 when it’s actually ready.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m pretty sure even if you have both toggles shut off iOS will still check for updates overnight when plugged in and give you a red badge on settings and tell you there is an update available periodically. For this reason I installed the tvOS beta profile to prevent this until I’m ready to maybe take the plunge to iOS 14 when it’s actually ready.
So far I can't say I've come across that happening. That said, since that part of it isn't completely spelled out somewhere, it's a possibility.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for that tip. I recently installed 13.7 on our iPhones (before Apple quits signing it) and hadn’t noticed that Apple had “graciously” set the auto download & update to ON :( We have a very slow WISP -- 4Mbs (yes, bits) so Apple’s auto-downloading of unwanted iOS updates has always been a PITA -- especially when Apple downloads the update while we are trying to stream Netflix etc.

GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.