Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
In a nutshell, lots of "a"s pop into my sentences, before or after nouns. For example, just now I was writing the word "acknowledgements" and the keyboard offered me "acknowledgement a" - which doesn't make any sense.

This was a fresh install of iOS 7, the keyboard hasn't learned this from me. It didn't happen in iOS 6. The same thing is happening on my iPad 4. Sure, maybe it'll realize sooner or later that I don't need all these A's, and perhaps I could make a shortcut as a workaround. But I wonder: is this because I have two keyboards installed (English and Spanish)? Does it not recognize some plurals and thinks I've hit the wrong key? Will it start throwing B's at me once it sees I don't like its suggested A's?

Is it just me? :-(

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
In a nutshell, lots of "a"s pop into my sentences, before or after nouns. For example, just now I was writing the word "acknowledgements" and the keyboard offered me "acknowledgement a" - which doesn't make any sense.

This was a fresh install of iOS 7, the keyboard hasn't learned this from me. It didn't happen in iOS 6. The same thing is happening on my iPad 4. Sure, maybe it'll realize sooner or later that I don't need all these A's, and perhaps I could make a shortcut as a workaround. But I wonder: is this because I have two keyboards installed (English and Spanish)? Does it not recognize some plurals and thinks I've hit the wrong key? Will it start throwing B's at me once it sees I don't like its suggested A's?

Is it just me? :-(

Reset your keyboard dictionary.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
my autocorrect keeps making "well" as "we'll" which i barely use and doesn't even make sense in sentences i write. its getting annoying!

Mactroki

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2013
Paris, France
my autocorrect keeps making "well" as "we'll" which i barely use and doesn't even make sense in sentences i write. its getting annoying!

I am pretty sure that I saw a "well" turning into "we'll" after writing a verb right after. I found it very clever.

Can anyone confirm?

RoyalStone

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I am pretty sure that I saw a "well" turning into "we'll" after writing a verb right after. I found it very clever.

Can anyone confirm?

That has happened to me. If I write a word that may or may not be a contraction, sometimes it won't change it to a contraction until I type a verb. (Like if I type "well" it sometimes won't autocorrect until I type "play" or "run.")

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I had the same problem. "Stiligfox’s" would turn into "stiligfox a."

And well kept turning into we'll. but my iPad seems to have finally learned.

But there are a ton of quirks still. After autocorrecting a whole word where punctuation is involved, it will often replace the punctuation with a space, leaving words randomly double spaced.

And things like ipad aren't auto capitalized like say, MacBook Air or iPhone.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
My phone complains about the lack of capital letter for countries with a red line, but doesn't automatically correct it.

Lazy son of a...

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
AutoCorrect/Keyboard on iOS 7 is just terrible. From time to time I use my iPod with 6 on it. The difference between the two and how much better 6 is, it's like night and day.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
AutoCorrect/Keyboard on iOS 7 is just terrible. From time to time I use my iPod with 6 on it. The difference between the two and how much better 6 is, it's like night and day.

I don't think Apple updated the autocorrect feature of the keyboard from iOS 6 to iOS 7. It's been mostly visual changes if I recall correctly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think Apple updated the autocorrect feature of the keyboard from iOS 6 to iOS 7. It's been mostly visual changes if I recall correctly.
It seems like some of both. Definitely some visual and touch identification changes, as some of my typical typing that works just fine in iOS 6 ends up with another key being recognized as being pressed in iOS 7 at times. But autocorrect seems to try to change various word combinations now too at times, where a few words together would get updated to a particular phrase (sometimes when I don't even want that). On the other hand, some words that are clearly misspelled (as in actually looking like gibberish in part) don't get auto-corrected or even sometimes identified as being misspelled.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
It seems like some of both. Definitely some visual and touch identification changes, as some of my typical typing that works just fine in iOS 6 ends up with another key being recognized as being pressed in iOS 7 at times. But autocorrect seems to try to change various word combinations now too at times, where a few words together would get updated to a particular phrase (sometimes when I don't even want that). On the other hand, some words that are clearly misspelled (as in actually looking like gibberish in part) don't get auto-corrected or even sometimes identified as being misspelled.

Don't forget when autocorrect changes a word and that final word is still misspelled.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I reset my dictionary but the problem hasn't gone away. On the plus side I notice it's trying to correct certain phrases depending on whether I'm using a verb or noun.

As I use, edit and teach language all day I'd love to work on fixing Apple's autocorrect. If the system is open to changing two words at a time there's a lot they could do. I'd gladly give up a few weekends just to help erradicate "would of" and lose/loose...

mush10

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
The keyboard is one of the thing a driving me to Android. I just wish they would open the api's and let Swiftkey support the device. With the iPhones touch sensitivity and Swiftkey it would be a phenomenal combination.

The iPhone keyboard stinks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.